Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

[Army Officer Question] watch

ReputationRep:
    Upon receiving my A Level results which are frankly quite disappointing, in comparison to what I was predicted to receive, I seek advice as to what plan of action I should take now.

I achieved the grades of CCD in Geography, Environmental Science, and Politics and in my most humble opinion I believe that it'd be within my ability to boost these up to at least a BBC.

I have been accepted to study Human Geography at the University of West England which will allow me to apply for the UOTC for potential officer cadets but I was wondering whether this would be the wrong path to take?

My options are to either join the army now as a regular and give up on my dreams to become an army officer, till I get an opportunity to prove myself worthy of a commission. My second option would be to go to university and apply for the UOTC then attempt to become an army officer with the grades I have which I know are above the required standard but I can't imagine it being very appealing to the examination board. My third option would be to retake my exams and put all of my plans on hold till I get my desired grades.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and I'd highly value any advice anybody has regarding my situation.

- Matt
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MatthewGear)
    Upon receiving my A Level results which are frankly quite disappointing, in comparison to what I was predicted to receive, I seek advice as to what plan of action I should take now.

I achieved the grades of CCD in Geography, Environmental Science, and Politics and in my most humble opinion I believe that it'd be within my ability to boost these up to at least a BBC.

I have been accepted to study Human Geography at the University of West England which will allow me to apply for the UOTC for potential officer cadets but I was wondering whether this would be the wrong path to take?

My options are to either join the army now as a regular and give up on my dreams to become an army officer, till I get an opportunity to prove myself worthy of a commission. My second option would be to go to university and apply for the UOTC then attempt to become an army officer with the grades I have which I know are above the required standard but I can't imagine it being very appealing to the examination board. My third option would be to retake my exams and put all of my plans on hold till I get my desired grades.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and I'd highly value any advice anybody has regarding my situation.

- Matt
    So long as you have the minimum A level grades for Army Officer entry, then go to UWE and join the OTC. The degree will wipe out mediocre A level grades, the 3 years more life experience will make you a more rounded candidate at the Selection Board and the OTC will give you a proper look see at the role in general and specific options, and again, improve your performance at the Selection Board.

You simply don't need your 'desired grades', better A level grades are irrelevant, you have a Uni place and therefore an opportunity to join the OTC and get a great insight into your career.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply, I thought about it a lot over the course of last night and I came to the conclusion I will listen to your advice. I don't intend on arriving at the Selection Board with a good set of A Levels but zero life experience to count for them.

Anymore posts to this thread will be welcomed, however, I've firmly decided what I feel will be the best decision for me to take.

-Matt.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate,

Glad to sse you've made a descision. However I'd strongly suggest using a different name for online engagements. Especially with military ambitions, personal security (PERSEC) is very important. It's just a general rule of thumb not to go around using your real name online with military ambitions. That is if your account name is your real name and you're not already a step ahead.

Good luck with your career choice and education!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, out of curiosity, what is the issue with using my name as my username?

I can think of a few reasons but I was just wondering if it could present an issue if I ever did get in, at a later date.

-Matt
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Thanks for the advice, out of curiosity, what is the issue with using my name as my username?

I can think of a few reasons but I was just wondering if it could present an issue if I ever did get in, at a later date.

-Matt
    Answered in pm to save embarassment

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt,

I have no useful advice for you as such, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your future career in the Army. You seem like a pleasant individual worthy of a chance to become an officer, and I hope you fulfil your dreams in this respect.

I am hoping to follow a similar path to you in joining the Army Air Corps, and will be not a million miles from you in fact at the University of Bristol. Don't hesitate to send me a message.

All the best,

Tom.

ReputationRep:
    I've just sent you a private message, thanks for the kind words.

-Matt

ReputationRep:

-Matt
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Answered in pm to save embarassment
    Looks like threeportdrift beat me to it. Best of luck mate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.