Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I just got back my AS results, and overall I received an A for Maths and A for Further Maths.
    However, separately in each of the maths exams I got AAAABB.

I study Maths, Further Maths, Economics (A level), Business (A level) & also am doing an EPQ, and after receiving two B's in the separate exams I'm not too sure if my application will be strong enough for Cambridge, especially because I did not take any Economics or Business exams this year.

I also understand that Economics and Business overlap and this is another negative for my application.

I don't know what to do, or what to think, so could you please help me out and tell me if I have a chance?
    Also, would it be worth taking Further Maths at A level, when I have received this sort of outcome, or should I simply carry on with Maths only?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Emma73737)
    Hi!

I just got back my AS results, and overall I received an A for Maths and A for Further Maths.

I study Maths, Further Maths, Economics (A level), Business (A level) & also am doing an EPQ, and after receiving two B's in the separate exams I'm not too sure if my application will be strong enough for Cambridge, especially because I did not take any Economics or Business exams this year.

I also understand that Economics and Business overlap and this is another negative for my application.

I don't know what to do, or what to think, so could you please help me out and tell me if I have a chance?
    Also, would it be worth taking Further Maths at A level, when I have received this sort of outcome, or should I simply carry on with Maths only?
    I would say that provided that you have your top 3 UMS grades of over 90% and above, then you stand a good chance for interview. A strong personal statement will also help too.

Where else are you considering to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    I would say that provided that you have your top 3 UMS grades of over 90% and above, then you stand a good chance for interview. A strong personal statement will also help too.

Where else are you considering to apply to?
    My top 3 UMS are 97, 92 and 87 , do you think that would still be alright?

I'm also considering Warwick, LSE, UCL and finally Essex university.
    I presume that Warwick and LSE will be of similar opinion as Cambridge about my application, won't they?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My top 3 UMS are 97, 92 and 87 , do you think that would still be alright?

I'm also considering Warwick, LSE, UCL and finally Essex university.
    I presume that Warwick and LSE will be of similar opinion as Cambridge about my application, won't they?
    Warwick and LSE wouldn't consider your UMS so it's different in that sense, they can see your module grades though.

Regarding Cambridge, there's no harm in applying and in addition you also have other options that you can consider you

If I recall, it's the average that they look at

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

There's a thread in the Cambridge forum where you can ask an admissions tutor directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hi!

(Original post by ageshallnot)
    There's a thread in the Cambridge forum where you can ask an admissions tutor directly.
    Here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4238242

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Warwick and LSE wouldn't consider your UMS so it's different in that sense, they can see your module grades though.

Regarding Cambridge, there's no harm in applying and in addition you also have other options that you can consider you

If I recall, it's the average that they look at
    Thank you for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.