Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CEEU in History, French, Economics and Maths respectively. I expected the absolute worst case scenario to be all Cs
    I had plans to do economics at university and I know I messed up badly but I don't want to give up on uni yet. What are my options?
    I don't think my sixth form will let me even continue with A2. I probably wouldn't want to until I fix my AS anyway tbh.
    Would it be possible to self teach with help from private tutors every once in a while during the next year and just retake the exams in May?
    I don't overestimate my ability but I was lazy this year and I know I can do much better. I really don't want to do an apprenticeship. please help...
    Thanks a lot
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by monk1324)
    CEEU in History, French, Economics and Maths respectively. I expected the absolute worst case scenario to be all Cs
    I had plans to do economics at university and I know I messed up badly but I don't want to give up on uni yet. What are my options?
    I don't think my sixth form will let me even continue with A2. I probably wouldn't want to until I fix my AS anyway tbh.
    Would it be possible to self teach with help from private tutors every once in a while during the next year and just retake the exams in May?
    I don't overestimate my ability but I was lazy this year and I know I can do much better. I really don't want to do an apprenticeship. please help...
    Thanks a lot
    Would you consider taking year 12 again?

ReputationRep:
    Repeat AS. Are you sure you can self teach or will you need private tutors on a more regular basis?

ReputationRep:
    Im in a similar situation, i plan to retake my maths exams and my other subjects don't count towards next year. If you wanted to you can retake the year at a different school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the stigma and do a BTEC. It's like a guaranteed way in to uni and you get to focus on the subject you want. Also you should be able to do an a level alongside it.

You can switch colleges are repeat year 12 again with the same subjects or do different subjects.

Its not the be all and end all.

You can still achieve good grades, just work hard; hard work beats any talent.

ReputationRep:
    Consider dropping on of your subjects that you find most difficult and dont need, so if you want to do Economics, consider dropping French for example and resit your worst modules. You can in most cases with resits and a lot of effor bump up all your grades by 1 (sometimes even 2) grades. Or you could re-do your AS, its for you to decide.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you can take a year off and apply with your A levels?
    I'm in a similar situation, I failed a subject and got an E and B in the others and i feel like resitting AS would be actually hell

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I would definitely want to retake year 12. I'm just not sure if my sixth form is going to bother letting me take the classes again with them (they have better GCSE students coming in and limited places...)If I do end up having to "self teach" I'd probably drop French. There isn't much to History, I just have to work harder. My brother is doing maths at uni and he's willing to teach me. I would probably have to rely on a tutor for economics though.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Thanks a lot
    Hi, We have spaces via clearing on our Economics course give our team a call!
    http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...rse/economics/
    0800 0483 334

Emily
    Student ambassador
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SandraQueimado)
    Hello! Go to university! Where in the UK do you live? Cambridge Ruskin International College, is a great place. It's a college that works with Anglia Ruskin University andoffers you the choice of going onto a Foundation course before your first yearat Anglia Ruskin, or even go ahead onto first year of University straight away!Whether you have your first year or foundation year, you will be at AngliaRuskin, and will be just like an Anglia Ruskin University student, but instead,you're preparing to become one. They helped me a lot! I've just had myFoundation, and I'm now heading into my First year, and It's super! They helpyou with student finance, and with anything else you need. They are havingclearing soon, so if you wanted to contact them, now is the time, you'll get ineasily, I'm sure! They are on clearing today, so you can claim your place easily! Just call: 01223695596
    Did you even read the OP? The user in question has only just finished year 12. Don't spam threads with information that isn't in any way helpful.

ReputationRep:
    A-Level results aren't the be all and end all. I got a D at GCSE science, went to college to study media, failed doing music, spent a year or two on the dole (i was depressed, fat and rock bottom with regards to my mental health), volunteered, did a placement, got some funding to help me to go to uni again, struggled to stay afloat in uni, got my head down, got a first and now i'm doing a PhD in health sciences with funding. It taken a while, but there is always a way.

I benefit so much from being a mature student too. You are more focussed, mature and willing to put get your head down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks a lot
    the issue I think you have is which syllabus you are doing the new one or the old one. resits are going to only be available for 2017 for legacy exams.
    If you went and resat AS, then you need to recheck A2 will be there for you to retake.

It may be that you have to retake year 12 on the new syllabus, but talk to your school. Its only a year and thats what i would do, but this time take it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Did you even read the OP? The user in question has only just finished year 12. Don't spam threads with information that isn't in any way helpful.
    I swear all these Uni accounts are just bots lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    AS marks are not carried forward, so it's not the end of the world if you're studying the linear A-levels.

I would recommend you speak to the Head of Sixth Form and see what they will say. It would be best to resit (if your marks do count), but if you have to take the whole A-levels in your last year then continue.

Maybe have a word with your teachers and ask to recall your papers and ask to go through it with you and see what happened.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.