The Student Room Group
Reply 1
All I know about the veterinary course at Dublin is that they don't do interviews or read personal statements, instead they base it all on your grades and pick names at random in a lottery. Seems pretty **** if you ask me.
pfff that'll produce good vets..
If AVS is anything to go by, being able to hotwire a JCB could be a valued commodity to put on your PS or mention at interview.
Reply 4
You could be quick to offend Dublin vets on this lol. Despite what you think, it is very difficult to get into. They require 4 A levels (more than any of the UK unis) and all As at that and there's only 60 places going a year. I don't know if they count the UK as foreign students or not or if foreign is outside the EU or even if they have limited places for foreign students. You don't need a PS or references, they don't interveiw and it is a lottery to who gets in but from what I've been told, this is all set to change in the next few years. Dublin is notoriously expensive to live in but it is beautiful and if you can stick the real Dubliner's accents it's not a bad place to live at all.

I wouldn't say it's a bad vet school because it doesn't interview or require a PS- all of CAO is like that and that's including all the unis offering subjects like medicine in Ireland. I wouldn't say they have bad doctors down in Ireland just because of that. A lot of my medic friends weren't interviewed for med school in the UK and their PSs were so generic they might have well have not written one anyway...does that mean they'll make bad doctors in the future? I don't think its fair to label it a bad vet school or their graduates bad vets but I definitely agree that UCD and the CAO system as a whole should be changed to get the really motivated people and not just those who are very academic and decided to be a vet (I'm not starting a debate here, just my opinion on it...UCD does produce some darn good vets).
Reply 5
hey guys thank you for the advice on dublin. Its a lovely place with great people just sounds like a bitch to get into. thanks again for the help

mayflower.x
UCD application are not through UCAS, but through CAO (or something like that?) I vaguely remember completing the form online, then submitting all the copies of my letters from school / placements / report card copies / exam results copies of GCSE & AS levels afterward by mail. I didn't hear from them all year until 2 days before Alevel results came out and they emailed to give me an unconditional offer. UCD is a bit weird because they kept sending me letters saying they were expanding the US / Canadian students quota, but shrinking overall International students quota, and repeatedly told me to prepared if I got rejected. How nice. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending