Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have been thinking about switching my degree from straight maths and instead focus more on computing and coding etc (even if i have to take a gap year). If i do this I'd like to end up as a programmer as coding was my favourite part of AS Computing.

So would I be best looking into Computing, Computer Science or something like Software engineering.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    So I have been thinking about switching my degree from straight maths and instead focus more on computing and coding etc (even if i have to take a gap year). If i do this I'd like to end up as a programmer as coding was my favourite part of AS Computing.

So would I be best looking into Computing, Computer Science or something like Software engineering.

Thanks
    Any of them will do just fine. There's a lot of crossover and students swap and change throughout the first couple of years. Computer science will give you more maths to get your teeth into. Maybe look at individual uni modules and go from there?

ReputationRep:
    I mean you literally answered your own question OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    I mean you literally answered your own question OP.
    did I? i asked which of the three degrees i mentioned would be best to do?

ReputationRep:
    If you straight up want to get into programming, and programming only then a Software Engineering degree would be right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)

Thanks
    Any of those are fine. You should also know that some jobs in programming only require a relevant degree (which also includes Maths), amd others do not require a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyres)
    x
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    x
    that's great, thanks a lot to both of you for your responses

ReputationRep:
    Computer engineering = electrical + computer science + software engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.