Turn on thread page Beta

Legs! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hate my legs.

Therefore, I've lived in jeans and trousers all my life.

I've therefore, never needed to shave/wax/anything else.

However, I am going on my holidays at the end of August, to a nice hot place- Florida. I have bought a holiday wardrobe of cropped trousers and shorts, but have hairy legs.

As I have jet black hair, these show up quite a lot!

Can someone advise me the best way for a beginner to get rid of these hairs?

Thanks! Lucy xxx

ReputationRep:
    Go to a salon and get waxed

It will be painful as its the first time though.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you reckon that would cost? My bank account is looking a little worse for wear I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    cant you just shave?

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing the hair is long so you're best bet would be to go to a salon and get them waxed. even if it is just a half leg wax. should cost around 20 quid but it varies a lot salon to salon.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, your options are:

1) Shaving
    Pros
    - Painless (unless you cut yourself)
    - Relatively cheap once you've bought the razor (or buy disposables)
    Cons
    - Likely to start growing back the next day, so you'll have to shave every morning if you want to have smooth legs
    - Hair regrowth is stubbly

2) Waxing
    Pros
    - Hair should not grow back for a few weeks, meaning that you won't have to think about it whilst on holiday
    - Hair will grow back thinner than if you shave
    Cons
    - Will be painful the first time you get it done (not recommended if you have a low threshold for pain)
    - Need to get it done in a salon, although prices depend on where you live & where you go (I find that the DIY strips just don't work as well & I wouldn't recommend trying to use hot wax at home for the first time either)
    - If you want to get waxed again, you have to wait for the hairs to grow back enough for the wax to be able to grip onto them

3) Epilating
    Pros
    - Same as waxing, in that hair should not grow back for a few weeks
    - Hair will also grow back thinner
    - Unlike waxing, you can epilate any regrowth without having to wait for it to grow longer
    Cons
    - Expensive to purchase one (although it then should last you for years & years)
    - PAINFUL.
    - Rather time consuming compared to shaving

4) Hair Removal Creams
    Pros
    - Painless
    - Will last longer than shaving
    Cons
    - I found that it didn't manage to remove ALL the hairs & leave my legs smooth

I have tried all these methods at one time or another, but it really depends on whether you want to worry about having to shave everyday whilst on holiday & if you can bare the pain of waxing/epilating.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i dunno if it's everyone's problem, or just mine, but assuming you will be going to the beach, it's probably better if you don't shave..i don't go to the beach often, but one time i shaved in the morning then went to the beach and OW BURN..if you shave then go the next day it's fine though *shrug*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd recommend a professional wax if you're going on holiday. No maintenance for a few weeks Smooth!

ReputationRep:
    Waxing will be easier if you've never removed hair from your legs before, it will probably hurt to begin with, but will be worth it when your legs are lovely and smooth!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.