Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on visiting my friend in Durham Uni. However, I would prefer not to pay for a separate accommodation but to live in the room of my friend or in her college. Is it possible or college accommodations don't allow that?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Is your friend staying in college? And how long are you looking to stay for?

The rules will be that you can't stay permanently in your friends room, and while colleges do tend to have spare rooms available it's unlikely to be let to somebody who isn't in Durham for academic reasons. The other thing to bear in mind as well is that college rooms tend to be small - you'd need to be very close with your friend and willing to put up with each other in close quarters for an extended amount of time!

That said...when I was at Durham I had plenty of people stay in my room when they were visiting (albeit only for a night or two at a time). If you made sure it wasn't obvious then you could probably get away with it (they will have cleaners in college on a regular basis who will report anything untoward if they catch it). Not that I would recommend bending the rules of course...;p

ReputationRep:
    She would stay only two or three nights so not a long time and probably during the spring break.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by adelharai)
    She would stay only two or three nights so not a long time and probably during the spring break.
    Two or three nights, especially during the holidays, would no doubt be fine. I think the college would only ask questions if it was longer than a week!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.