The Student Room Group

A level results, gap year & extenuating circumstances help?

I had a deferred offer for AAA which I've missed, ended up with A* english lit, A german and B classics. I've tried phoning with a little pleading and was rejected.

I really want to take a year out above all, I did try clearing this morning for English and was refused.

I have pretty valid extenuating circumstances which let down my personal statement and history but I didn't involve these in my initial application so was refused for my first offers, then told by the others that it was valid but too late - so I could reapply with the extenuating circumstances emphasised.

I just need some help and advice on my options since I feel half pleased with the extra grade and then extremely let down as I would rather have straight As. I could retake a classics module over this year, but I'm not sure if they allow resits? Or generally reapply with my grades and circumstances, or keep trying clearing and then try for a deferral but I feel like that's unlikely to happen.. just feeling rather lost so any help would be great.
Original post by shaylux
I had a deferred offer for AAA which I've missed, ended up with A* english lit, A german and B classics. I've tried phoning with a little pleading and was rejected.

I really want to take a year out above all, I did try clearing this morning for English and was refused.

I have pretty valid extenuating circumstances which let down my personal statement and history but I didn't involve these in my initial application so was refused for my first offers, then told by the others that it was valid but too late - so I could reapply with the extenuating circumstances emphasised.

I just need some help and advice on my options since I feel half pleased with the extra grade and then extremely let down as I would rather have straight As. I could retake a classics module over this year, but I'm not sure if they allow resits? Or generally reapply with my grades and circumstances, or keep trying clearing and then try for a deferral but I feel like that's unlikely to happen.. just feeling rather lost so any help would be great.

Hi,
We have spaces on several English course. http://www.kingston.ac.uk/courses/find-a-course/undergraduate/a-z/e/ You could take a look at these and see what you think.A* A B is still and amazing outcome! Our hotline number is
0800 0483 334 where you can explain to someone you circumstances and they will do their best to help you.

Emily
Student ambassador
Original post by shaylux

Whatever you do, please don't stoop so low as Kingston.
Hi shaylux,
I am currently a Student Ambassador at New College of the Humanities, London and we still have places available for September 2016 on all of our liberal arts-inspired, combined honors degree programs including English and any Clearing/Adjustment students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550. Please also feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc.
Original post by shaylux

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you didn't get into your first choice university, but you should be really happy with the A* and A you have clearly worked really hard for.

We still have English courses available which you can apply for through clearing with us.

If you would like help navigating through Clearing or you are unsure how the process works you can always give our Clearing Team a call on 03330 432 414 and then can help advise you on what best to do for your situation.

If you prefer to chat online you can use our Live Chat system instead.

Just make sure you feel well informed about the options you have available, and celebrate your amazing results.

Well done,
Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Hello

First of all, congratulations on your results, they are fantastic.

Which University did you try via Clearing this morning that turned you down? We still have some English courses available. Definitely give our Clearing helpline a call on 0116 373 6000.

Our School of English has a huge range of modules to choose from that could take you in unexpected directions.

We are ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world by the Times Higher Education (THE) and we are ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings.

You can also read what our students think on our Student Blogs http://studentblogs.le.ac.uk

Good luck!

Vicky
University of Leicester
Reply 6
Original post by shaylux

Clearing is designed to fill places for this year, so if you really don't want to go until 2017 you'll need to reapply.

If you reapply, you'll need your referee to outline the extenuating circumstances if you want the uni to take them into account, rather than using up space in your PS.

As to whether it is worth your while to retake an exam, only you can decide. I certainly wouldn't suggest doing so merely to 'tidy things up'. If there is a uni/course you want to apply for that would require the higher grade, then it would be important to ensure that you include amongst your choices unis where you already meet or exceed their standard requirements.
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
Clearing is designed to fill places for this year, so if you really don't want to go until 2017 you'll need to reapply.

If you reapply, you'll need your referee to outline the extenuating circumstances if you want the uni to take them into account, rather than using up space in your PS.

As to whether it is worth your while to retake an exam, only you can decide. I certainly wouldn't suggest doing so merely to 'tidy things up'. If there is a uni/course you want to apply for that would require the higher grade, then it would be important to ensure that you include amongst your choices unis where you already meet or exceed their standard requirements.

Thank you, I guess I'll stop trying clearing then. I'm unsure about the retakes too, I've read some unis don't accept them but I'm not sure if the extra A would give me a better advantage..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending