Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my AS results and they were awful! I got a C in Biology, C in English Literature and a U in chemistry. I know I can do a lot better, but I had massive home problems and missed about 50% of the school year. I was wondering if anyone got similar grades to me but still managed to get an offer? My GCSE's are AABBBBBC and the University course I'm hoping for is Biology with typical requirements of ABB/BBB. Is it appropriate to brief on how the AS results were disappointing because of what happened in my life in the personal statement? I wouldn't think it is, but I don't want to lose the chance to go because of the grades this year when I know I can bring them up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Angharad6)
    I just got my AS results and they were awful! I got a C in Biology, C in English Literature and a U in chemistry. I know I can do a lot better, but I had massive home problems and missed about 50% of the school year. I was wondering if anyone got similar grades to me but still managed to get an offer? My GCSE's are AABBBBBC and the University course I'm hoping for is Biology with typical requirements of ABB/BBB. Is it appropriate to brief on how the AS results were disappointing because of what happened in my life in the personal statement? I wouldn't think it is, but I don't want to lose the chance to go because of the grades this year when I know I can bring them up.
    No, do not put your personal circumstances in your personal statement.

If your Head of Year/Sixth Form (would/should) know about your home life and therefore, when they do your application as a referee, they will mention this and your personal life will be considered in making a decision whether to give you an offer/accept you. However, this is usually and/or only given to students who are hit badly during their A2 studies.

I think BB is not an unreasonable predicted grades for Bio and Lit. Got to question Chem and when you went wrong and maybe ask for a recall. However, I would perhaps resit the Chem or swap it for a different A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    No, do not put your personal circumstances in your personal statement.

If your Head of Year/Sixth Form (would/should) know about your home life and therefore, when they do your application as a referee, they will mention this and your personal life will be considered in making a decision whether to give you an offer/accept you. However, this is usually and/or only given to students who are hit badly during their A2 studies.

I think BB is not an unreasonable predicted grades for Bio and Lit. Got to question Chem and when you went wrong and maybe ask for a recall. However, I would perhaps resit the Chem or swap it for a different A-level.
    The Chemistry was down to my timetable - the days I unfortunately missed were almost always the days I had chemistry lessons. I knew I was going to do terribly and had already predicted the U, because I just hadn't attended enough. My head of year knows about my circumstances so I'll hope for the best.
    Thank you for the reply. I knew it wasn't appropriate to include personal circumstance, but I'm pretty desperate for an offer. I know I can pull the grades up to the Universities standard, I just can't wait a year and re-apply after A2 because of said circumstances. Pretty stuck then, I'll just wait and see.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.