Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sat.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Saturday or Sunday - people travelling long distance tend to come on the Saturday.

I'm sure this has come up quite a few times before...
Reply 3
I'm sure my letter from Trevs said to come on the Sunday *goes to double check*

Edit - it says "new students are asked to arrive in College by the afternoon of Sunday 30 September"
Reply 4
I think it probably depends on the college, doesn't it? You're probably best ringing the college office and asking.
Reply 5
If it says "by the afternoon of Sunday 30th", does that mean you can only come on Sunday? Or can you come on Saturday?

I guess I don't need to worry, I need to get there first
Reply 6
At Mildert, I was under the impression that international students and those travelling a long way were to come up on the Saturday, which will include me since I've got a 5 hour drive to endure. :p:

Everyone else arrives on the Sunday.
Reply 7
Bah, this means that we start in September rather than October! How cruel
Reply 8
Nah, first lecture will be in october!

Even officially, we enter the uni through matriculation which is in oct!
Reply 9
Does anybody know specifically about Aidans?

I've got a long train journey to get up to Durham, carrying lots of stuff.. Would prefer to go up saturday, have an early(ish) night and have loads of energy for Sunday night!
Reply 10
jazznaz
At Mildert, I was under the impression that international students and those travelling a long way were to come up on the Saturday, which will include me since I've got a 5 hour drive to endure.

Internationals are supposed to arrive near the 27th, which would be Thursday.

I don't think Internationals with a twenty-hour flight and people who live in south England who have to drive a piddly five hours are both put in the same category.
Reply 11
I have a long-distance to go. One hour on the plane, journey to Victoria station, then Kings Cross and finally a three hour train journey to Durham.
Reply 12
I'm starting to think maybe I should've done a train journey from London to Newcastle instead of a flight. How much was the ticket? Maybe I'll do it that way when I go home.
Reply 13
I haven't bought it yet, but it costs around £20 I think.
Reply 14
Sabruis: Are you living in the US and travelling to durham each term? That must be a lot of hassle!
Reply 15
eggman
Sabruis: Are you living in the US and travelling to durham each term? That must be a lot of hassle!

I may go home over Christmases, but no, I'm just staying at Durham during the vacations--not including summers, of course.
Reply 16
A train journey between the two can be as little as £10 but book in advance and online,on the day it can be up to £60 or something for a single.
Reply 17
You must be travelling pretty light to be able to get the train or plane to durham when you move in.
Reply 18
eggman
You must be travelling pretty light to be able to get the train or plane to durham when you move in.

Well it's not like there's much choice when you're coming from outside the country. And I can fit quite a lot into two fifty-pound duffel bags (the limit). Everything I need, really. I may have to buy a pillow and towels, but that's about all, I think.
Reply 19
eggman

I don't have the choice of whether or not I go in car, coach, train, plane - no-one can drive me up there and Liverpool to Durham aint exactly direct via the latter three :frown: Think it might well be the train regardless of how much excess baggage I have. And I will have to leave my beloved (car) in Liverpool too.

Latest