The Student Room Group

In need of advice???

Hi, I have just received my results for AS. I got...

A in English Language
B in Economics
C in French
E in Maths

Before results day I was planning not to drop anything next year, and was really up for the challenge of four subjects even though it will prove a long slog. I am wondering if this plan is out of the window or still doable? I really love to be challenged and respond well to pressure, but is this a step too far for me?

I am a little gutted, especially with my maths result. I would really like to do 4 if possible, but am I crazy?

Advice please someone? Anyone! I'm gutted and panicked!
Original post by Olmeister

A in English Language
B in Economics
C in French
E in Maths

Before results day I was planning not to drop anything next year, and was really up for the challenge of four subjects even though it will prove a long slog. I am wondering if this plan is out of the window or still doable? I really love to be challenged and respond well to pressure, but is this a step too far for me?

I am a little gutted, especially with my maths result. I would really like to do 4 if possible, but am I crazy?

The question you need to ask yourself is would you be happy with these grades next year? You can theoretically improve by one grade between now and A2 results, and so if those predictions aren't what you want, maybe you should consider dropping one and focussing on 3 A-levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Nirgilis
The question you need to ask yourself is would you be happy with these grades next year? You can theoretically improve by one grade between now and A2 results, and so if those predictions aren't what you want, maybe you should consider dropping one and focussing on 3 A-levels.

I think that I'd be happy if I was to get...

A in English
A in Economics
B in French
B/C in Maths

Do you think it's doable? Am I just wasting valuable study time? I am a hard-worker... If I want something I'll strive to get it, but is this too hard even for the optimist?
I think that I'd be happy if I was to get...

A in English
A in Economics
B in French
B/C in Maths

Do you think it's doable? Am I just wasting valuable study time? I am a hard-worker... If I want something I'll strive to get it, but is this too hard even for the optimist?

No, 4 A-levels are perfectly doable. I did 4 A-levels myself and didn't understand what everyone was on about when they said 'that's too hard'. But I knew, going into those A-levels, that I would never achieve A*'s since I spread myself so thinly. So look at Uni entry requirements and see what they say. If they want AAA, it might be worth dropping one :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis
No, 4 A-levels are perfectly doable. I did 4 A-levels myself and didn't understand what everyone was on about when they said 'that's too hard'. But I knew, going into those A-levels, that I would never achieve A*'s since I spread myself so thinly. So look at Uni entry requirements and see what they say. If they want AAA, it might be worth dropping one :yep:

Out of the universities that I am considering, they realistically want AAB maximum. You think based on my grades and a lot of hard work that I can reach this target and get maths as well? I feel all 4 would make me seem accomplished whilst my scope would be wider for any future endeavours...

Sorry for bombarding you, I just seek advice!
Out of the universities that I am considering, they realistically want AAB maximum. You think based on my grades and a lot of hard work that I can reach this target and get maths as well? I feel all 4 would make me seem accomplished whilst my scope would be wider for any future endeavours...

Sorry for bombarding you, I just seek advice!

That's your personal call. If you feel you can do it, then go for it! :smile: . I would do it, but you need to be clear that you will be working hard next year :h:
I am not sure about Maths. Assuming it is modular, you would probably have to retake some of the modules you sat this year. And if you struggled with C1/C2, you may find C3/C4 incredibly difficult, more than just a challenge. There is no shame in doing 3 A-levels, and in most cases, having 4 won't really make a difference to a university as they, more often than not, just count the top 3 grades.

A in English Language
B in Economics
C in French
E in Maths

Drop maths it will be for the best

Quick Reply

Latest