AS level please help

Watch this thread
bethpitcher80
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

Im posting on behalf of my daughter and i do apologise in advance for my unfamiliarity with the grading system.

She has just received her results for her first ALevel year (as level):

Psych: C
Law: C
RE: E
History: E

She was going to drop history in the second year.

Up until this exam, her RE results have been high. She misunderstood a two part question and only answered 1 section which is obviously where shes fallen short.

I understand that she needs a D to continue.

Her personal tutor has now told her that she can continue with psych and law and will have to start an entirely new subject if she wants to continue which will mean she finishes up with 2 a levels and an as level, which would of course affect her uni opoortunites.

This really doesnt seem fair to me that she cannot simply resit the exam because her work in that subject has been consistenly high graded.

Her other option is to move colleges and what? Start at year one again?

Is there an appeal process or someone i can should speak to who can reveiw the decision or something.

It just seems so unfair.

Thanks for any responses
computationchive
Badges: 9
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bethpitcher80)
Hi there,

Im posting on behalf of my daughter and i do apologise in advance for my unfamiliarity with the grading system.

Up until this exam, her RE results have been high. She misunderstood a two part question and only answered 1 section which is obviously where shes fallen short.

Her personal tutor has now told her that she can continue with psych and law and will have to start an entirely new subject if she wants to continue which will mean she finishes up with 2 a levels and an as level, which would of course affect her uni opoortunites.

This really doesnt seem fair to me that she cannot simply resit the exam because her work in that subject has been consistenly high graded.

Is there an appeal process or someone i can should speak to who can reveiw the decision or something.

It just seems so unfair.

Thanks for any responses
That is quite harsh. At my college you only have to pass each AS (an E is a pass at A-level), to continue it on.

Maybe try and get in contact with the senior leadership team or something equivalent to them. We have student progress managers at my college that are above our personal tutors and they are the ones that have the power to enrol students onto courses.

Hope this helps
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

It just seems so unfair.

Thanks for any responses
Well there's a few options anyway.

Did the college say she had to pick an AS subject? I mean, she could technically pick a two year linear course but study it in the one year. That's one theory.

The other theory is that she would need to apply to unis that are specifically asking for UCAS points rather than individual grades as she would not meet the entry requirement for grades as unis wants a minimum of 3 A-levels.

I think it would be unwise for her to pull out of college and start all over again to be honest.

I mean she is the student and she has followed their rules by accepting a place at that college/sixth form 12 months ago.There isn't really an appeal process you can do. Unless you go to the Headteacher or perhaps even one of the Governors to see what can be done. But the school might not appreciate such things.

I would honestly tell her to pick an AS subject and improve her Cs by trying to get Bs in yer last year. If she can do this, then this will increase her UCAS points.
ToniMia
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Speaking from personal experience, depending on the college your daughter goes to, there should be an option for her to have her exam re-marked, it is possible for her to be downgraded in this process however if your daughter has been achieving consistently high marks she and she did well within the first section she may get her grade uplifted.
Other than that her only option is to pick a new subject, this is what i had to do, i was forced to drop religious education in my AS year as i achieved the same results.
Or maybe re-do her AS religious studies at the same college and study for her A2 religious studies at the same time - this maybe possible but you would have to speak with the college and inquire whether it is possible.
I hope this helped.
And i hope you daughter everything she has strived to achieve!
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

It just seems so unfair.

Thanks for any responses
Just go above the tutors head. It is your daughters education do whatever you need to
LordHeskey
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

It just seems so unfair.

Thanks for any responses
If the college she goes to offers General Studies then this could be an option as I understand you complete the A level in a single year. Some universities accept this as part of a standard offer, and if they do then it could be better than having an AS in an another subject even though GS is not the most highly regarded of subjects. That's pretty harsh that she needed a D to continue though, at my college you could continue with an E in any given subject...
bethpitcher80
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all for your replies, I think ill speak to someone above the tutor and see if theres anything they can do. I also thought an e was a pass and it seems such a shame that she should give up RE, which she loves, entirely and effectively waste all the hard work she put in. The subject tutor cant speak more highly of her because she usually excels. I hope they will look at her overall performance and realise it was a genuine misundertanding and bump her through, and let her resit the exam. Im actually baffled that this isnt an option anyway.

Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
16.67%
The paper was reasonable (34)
35.42%
Not feeling great about that exam... (33)
34.38%
It was TERRIBLE (13)
13.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed