Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else really hate silence? I can't concentrate in silence at all, i have to have music of the tv on. Silence is more of a distraction for me than anything hence why i do so awfully in exams. I also hate being in an empty house, even with music or the tv on, does anybody else get this and any idea what causes it or how i can help it cos it is really affecting my work especially exams as i have said before?

ReputationRep:
    No, silence is golden.

I don't know what causes your disliking of silence but complete silence is very rare really. Are you sure it's the quiet which affects your exam performance? It might be making you anxious which could be the real reason for your unease etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Does anyone else really hate silence? I can't concentrate in silence at all, i have to have music of the tv on. Silence is more of a distraction for me than anything hence why i do so awfully in exams. I also hate being in an empty house, even with music or the tv on, does anybody else get this and any idea what causes it or how i can help it cos it is really affecting my work especially exams as i have said before?
    Im the opposite, I hate noise. I live in a really noisy household and it is extremely irritating...wanna swap?

I love silence, as long as it isn't the awkward silence in the middle of a conversation. Everyone and everything seems to be so loud in an attempt to get across their viewpoint, it's good to just be in peace.

Aye, I'm the same, though only when indoors for some reason. I find even a very low level of white noise sorts the problem out, without providing a distraction from work. So, as daft as it sounds, even having the TV on but muted does the trick. Give it a go sometime and then come back and tell me I'm unhinged. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im not a fan of pure silence probably cos im a bit of a chatterbox, lol! I always have to have music or some noise especially in the car. Have you thought that you may just hate silence because of a situation like an exam where you have to remain silence. It maybe that you are almost scared of silence cos you hate exams and associate exams with silence. Dont know if you follow me or if im just talking codswollop. Just chill ya beans and im sure the problem wont seem so big. x

ReputationRep:
    When I go to bed I can't sleep if its total silence and there's no light coming into my room at all. But during the day I love hustle and bustle can't stand trying to work with nothing else going on that's why I hardly used the library at uni because it was just to quiet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the total opposite. :eek: I love it when there isn't any noise, it allows me to concentrate really well. My house is always a racket, maybe we should swap. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I always have to listen to music. I hate silence.

But I love being in the house alone, though it's nowhere near as nice as being with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    I also hate silence. I like having something to focus on as background noise. If it's completely silent my mind just drifts and I get bored.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend can't stand it. If we're in the car and we go silent for a few seconds, I've noticed that she has to say something.
    I love silence though. I find it so much easier to work. I don't like to be distracted.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you need silence. At times I hate it when people just won't shut up and leave me be. I prefer a bit of both.

ReputationRep:
    I like silence and noise, each has their time and place, sometimes it's nice to just have space to think and I find that easier with quiet, where as if I'm feeling full of energy I favour loud music and general noise.

ReputationRep:
    Even when I'm thinking about something that isn't anything to do with uni work like personal things I still have to some dull noise in the background.

ReputationRep:
    I love silence. I'm completely comfortable with it.

ReputationRep:
    We need stimulus, especially young people who want to learn and who havn't formed their own vision & self-confidence for life.

Older people can reflect on what they've already seen and heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy_Boi)
    I love silence. I'm completely comfortable with it.
    Coming from E Yorks, it means it's not raining, which is great !

ReputationRep:
    If ur alone in an empty house, sing cos no one can hear you

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if anyone hears me sing, i'm a singer, people hear me sing all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Tinnitus makes complete silence pretty much unbearable for me. But in practice there's always some kind of noise blocking that (computer fan etc), in which case I like it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.