Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    got a letter today, for speeding in a 30mph zone, i was only doing 34mph

what a joke, more scams from the UK govt to raise revenue

ReputationRep:
    yeah but technically you are breaking the law. you don't have a leg to stand on. yeah its annoying, but speed limits are there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with the sentiments of the original poster.

"technically you are breaking the law" please. 4mph? Plod must be bored now all the burglars and rapists have been caught and imprisoned to spend the day fining people sixty squid for 4mph. Oh wait... they havent...

Ive been pinched twice for the same thing Once was a plod with a laser gun at 2am in the morning the other was a deserted road at 3 am with a camera both occasions i was doing 34 and 36. well thats just downright irrisponsible isnt it. :rolleyes:
    The gvt have my cars details. Its a fecking V8 sports car. If I wanted to drive erratically i'd be doing 136. But no. I like the original poster am, for all intents and purposes, a law abiding citizen.
    The gvt view the motorist as a cash cow.

It doesnt matter that my speedo is 30 years old and about as much use as tits on a chicken. Really gets my goat that plod have nothing better to do. blah.

ReputationRep:
    Lol 34 in a 30? Harsh

But in their defense, your speedo must have said almost 40. But I agree, 34 in a 30 is stupid

Ps you are a murderer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federer Rulz)
    got a letter today, for speeding in a 30mph zone, i was only doing 34mph

what a joke, more scams from the UK govt to raise revenue
    How did you get caught/where was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Lol 34 in a 30? Harsh

But in their defense, your speedo must have said almost 40. But I agree, 34 in a 30 is stupid

Ps you are a murderer
    no. its an old car. It under reads!
    I checked it with a friends sat nav.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i wouldn't exactly say sat nav is the most reliable way to check it.

ReputationRep:
    Suggest a better solution?

ReputationRep:
    JC - law breaker and petrol abuser... stone him

ReputationRep:
    Guilty as charged m'laud.

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to my dad driving back back from a 300 trip journey to my uncles funeral. He got caught doing 34 in a 30.

However JC if you know it undereads the law will just say you should have compensated for that.

While agree 4mph is petty they have to draw the borderline some where. What annoys me about speed cameras though is they don't have common sense built into them.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know untill I tested it. It only underread by 2mph anyway. Not worth getting it re-calibrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)

Ps you are a murderer
    Quality posting!

Furthermore, I thought that the normal guideline is that you should be given 3mph + 10% leeway... thus you would have to be doing 36mph before you should be fined in a 30 limit?

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard the phrase "all coppers are *******s" ?
    The welsh ones are particularly guilty of this when said driver has an english accent and uses words which are too long for them to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    The only time I've ever met a welsh copper was when I broke down on the M4 (trying to leave Wales!)

They didn't even bother looking to see if I had tax, bald tyres etc. (OK, so they can do tax from their 4x4 thing). They just stopped, asked me if I was OK and if I had breakdown cover (By that point I had already found the fault and was mid-way through fixing it).

So my experience of welsh traffic cops is actually pretty good

In Bristol even the traffic wardens consider it their God given duty to check my car for tax, tyres etc etc because it is a bit (very) scruffy. Bastids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    The only time I've ever met a welsh copper was when I broke down on the M4 (trying to leave Wales!)

They didn't even bother looking to see if I had tax, bald tyres etc. (OK, so they can do tax from their 4x4 thing). They just stopped, asked me if I was OK and if I had breakdown cover (By that point I had already found the fault and was mid-way through fixing it).

So my experience of welsh traffic cops is actually pretty good

In Bristol even the traffic wardens consider it their God given duty to check my car for tax, tyres etc etc because it is a bit (very) scruffy. Bastids.
    when i lived in wales i used to get stopped all the time. I suppose thats what you get for driving a nice car in a town where the most exciting thing that happens is the odd drunken brawl.

I would have minded only it was the same sidekick copper that checked my tyres two nights ago.
    Infact i was annoyed and told him so. I think the phrase i used was "You were told two days ago that the whole set of tyres were less than a month old. Do I look like ayrton senna? I can't get through 8mm of tread in 30 miles!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I didnt know untill I tested it. It only underread by 2mph anyway. Not worth getting it re-calibrated.
    I was under the immpression that most speedometers underread a little, to give us a bit of leeway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Suggest a better solution?
    sat nav is probably the best way of checking the calibration of a speedo

measured mile isn't all that useful for checking your speedo fine for checking odo or calibrating a known good speedo, rally odometer thingy or vascar if you are of the rattus rattus persuasion

GPS assuming that SA is off is a pretty accurate means of checking speeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonno_)
    I was under the immpression that most speedometers underread a little, to give us a bit of leeway.
    This is true of modern cars, but my speedo was built in 1978...

ReputationRep:
    I heard it was 10% + 2mph (in my area, from a copper). Or so he said anyway. Check with the Police. Get the pics. It could be marginal. Also, ask what the allowance for speedo inaccuracy is, you never know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 24, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.