The Student Room Group

Do I do 3 or 4 A levels?

I start A levels in September and currently I am down for Biology, Maths, Chemistry and English Language. I am definitely going to study biology, maths and chemistry at both AS and A2 level.
Would it be worth doing AS English Language (or any other subject) or only focusing on 3 A levels?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by eviemason
I start A levels in September and currently I am down for Biology, Maths, Chemistry and English Language. I am definitely going to study biology, maths and chemistry at both AS and A2 level.
Would it be worth doing AS English Language (or any other subject) or only focusing on 3 A levels?

I would say there's no point doing 4 subjects because most people drop the 4th after their first year anyway. also you don't actually need English language so by doing 3 you can focus more on those subjects and do well in those
Reply 4
Start 4. Some subjects can be quite different at A level. None of my (4) children has dropped the subject after AS that they expected to drop when they started A levels. At least if you start 4 you have an option if you discover you hate one of your choices.
Original post by eviemason

I started off doing 3 A levels; History, Media, and Film. Then I took on business studies too. At the end of the year i completely failed history. A levels were dropped so I never got to do A2. My advice would be, take all 4. study a little each day as well as revise each day. Then once you get your AS results if you did super bad in one of you just didn't enjoy it drop it. You could take all 4 but it will only be harder in the second year. I was so tempted to take 5 as levels. I so badly wanted to do psychology. Careful how much you take on! I was on the student union and governing committee. I also achieved campus presidident at the end of the year as well as battling depression the entire time. I took on too much and got BCD. As long as you don't take on too much you'll be fine. so maybe 4 a levels but no student union ect? I was a bit stupid haha. I have no doubt you'll do great! just work your butt off!
Reply 6
I think it's 3 now as AS Level is a stand alone qualification from A Levels but I would advise asking your 6th form/college.
Reply 7
I mean we got told at our school that all courses apart from Maths were only available in A2 form, so i'm doing three. My advice is if you think doing four is vital for your future do it. Unis only ask for 3 A2 grades. No point going through all the stress because 4 is better than 3, if you wont even use the qualification in the long run right?

Quick Reply

Latest