The Student Room Group

CHAT Campaign Amended Title: Work Experience Advise

Hi! :smile: Im thinking about doing some work experience over the summer if i can...- graphic design type work. The problem is, I'm not familiar with the different software and programmes :confused: but obviously, im very keen to learn! :smile: And, i fancy doing something contructive too rather than tea making and phone call taking... so do you think there's any point me going for a work experience placement in this area if I can find one?

Any advice would be great! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
*skye*
Hi! :smile: Im thinking about doing some work experience over the summer if i can...- graphic design type work. The problem is, I'm not familiar with the different software and programmes :confused: but obviously, im very keen to learn! :smile: And, i fancy doing something contructive too rather than tea making and phone call taking... so do you think there's any point me going for a work experience placement in this area if I can find one?

(ps, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place, but i cant seem to post it in the careers part :confused: )

If you're not familiar with the different programs, you can get familiar by going to www.download.com and downloading trial versions, if they still do them! :smile: If you have experience with them, it'll probably boost your chances.
Reply 2
*skye*

(ps, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place, but i cant seem to post it in the careers part :confused: )

yeh it's a good idea......it'll probably do you some good in the long run!
Reply 3
*skye*

Buy some books (they usually come with trial versions of the software) and teach yourself...it is very doubtful that you will get work experience where they will be happy to teach you how to use the software. How computer literate are you? Do you have ANY experience with graphics software?
Yeah i need some work...im in montreal at the moment...please someone help me find a job
Reply 5
who_me
Buy some books (they usually come with trial versions of the software) and teach yourself...it is very doubtful that you will get work experience where they will be happy to teach you how to use the software. How computer literate are you? Do you have ANY experience with graphics software?

hi, well, im fairly computer illiterate, ive got an A in gsce IT, tho that probably dusnt mean much! lol. Ive just never been taught web design or anything graphicy related. except your usual word processing, spreadsheety, databasey, publishing type stuff.Experience in graphics software, probably zilch when it comes to really sphisticated ones... lol
Reply 6
*skye*
hi, well, im fairly computer illiterate, ive got an A in gsce IT, tho that probably dusnt mean much! lol. Ive just never been taught web design or anything graphicy related. except your usual word processing, spreadsheety, databasey, publishing type stuff.Experience in graphics software, probably zilch when it comes to really sphisticated ones... lol

Ok well it's probably best to start off with a fairly basic graphics program, such as Jasc Paintshop Pro. Once you've become familiar with that, try using Adobe Photoshop - this is what most professionals use. It is also worth looking at Adobe Illustrator, which is the industry standard for vector graphics. Macromedia Freehand and Macromedia Fireworks should also be looked at. My best advice to you is to get yourself down to WHSmiths and have a look in some of the graphic design magazines, some of them come with free software trials on CD as well. There is one called Digital Creative Arts which I am quite fond of, quite pricey though at £5.99.
Reply 7
*skye*

Apply to WH Smiths, or Rymans perhaps.

Latest

Trending

Trending