The Student Room Group

Screwed my AS results

Got ABCD, for AS
Maths-A
B-Physics
C-History
D-Further Maths

I mean I was hoping for AAB bar History, but now considering I wanted to do Maths I really don't know what to do. I'm considering retaking AS Further Maths as well continuing with the A2 course to salvage something and dropping History. But I think I've screwed up any chance of getting offers from where I want. Anyone else in the same position?

Scroll to see replies

Yes i got ABB in economics , business and accounting respectively. i couldn't write math because i restarted. i feel like i've lost all hope of studying accounting at any uni of my choice.
Reply 2
Totally, i got ABB and was hoping for AAA now i dont think i can apply to Cambridge or UCL and have a good shot at getting in :frown: .
Reply 3
Original post by Zara0526
Totally, i got ABB and was hoping for AAA now i dont think i can apply to Cambridge or UCL and have a good shot at getting in :frown: .

Ah unlucky, I was hoping for Warwick for MORSE but that dreams over now
Original post by Niz2206
Got ABCD, for AS
Maths-A
B-Physics
C-History
D-Further Maths

I mean I was hoping for AAB bar History, but now considering I wanted to do Maths I really don't know what to do. I'm considering retaking AS Further Maths as well continuing with the A2 course to salvage something and dropping History. But I think I've screwed up any chance of getting offers from where I want. Anyone else in the same position?

Apply anyway
Original post by ColorMiKiki
You call that screwed?!!? I got:
Chemistry - B (new linear)
Biology - C (new linear)
Geography - C
Maths - E (dropping from the start anyway)
My dentistry dreams are dead af.

Same, but there is no point in being pessimistic. Do better next year, and reapply the following year.
Original post by Zara0526

which unis willyou be applying to now and for what course ?
Reply 7
Yeah I'm screwed too
Your science grades will only matter when your teachers are making predictions which will be used to make offers. Your maths modules you can retake anyway next year. It's not all doom and gloom
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah I'm screwed too

what did you get?
Ive seen you in the IB forums and you are really informative!
Original post by LifeIsFine
what did you get?
Ive seen you in the IB forums and you are really informative!

I got AABC
Thank you!
Original post by Trapz99
I got AABC
Thank you!

AABC?
That seems really good lol, you have nothing to worry about with those grades.

Spoiler

"Screwed."I got CCC, need ABB or AAB for the teaching courses I want to do, and I'm certain I can pull myself up and get good predictions if I work hard.
You've done really well. I got BBD today, but there were some extenuating circumstances within that. Even if your results are not exactly what you wanted, use them to your advantage. I was really depressed earlier when I thought there was no point to applying to my favourite uni (St. Andrews, courses requirements usually AAB), but I have found ways in which I can still apply through research and thinking logically. Plus, you could re-take the subjects you felt you did poorest in or get them re-marked. Basically, think positive. You have achieved these results, and now it's a good time to use them to your advantage! Good luck, and with a bit of time, I'm sure you'll find the right path. :smile:
Original post by clucky_chick
You've done really well. I got BBD today, but there were some extenuating circumstances within that. Even if your results are not exactly what you wanted, use them to your advantage. I was really depressed earlier when I thought there was no point to applying to my favourite uni (St. Andrews, courses requirements usually AAB), but I have found ways in which I can still apply through research and thinking logically. Plus, you could re-take the subjects you felt you did poorest in or get them re-marked. Basically, think positive. You have achieved these results, and now it's a good time to use them to your advantage! Good luck, and with a bit of time, I'm sure you'll find the right path. :smile:

How can you apply to st andrews?
Original post by clucky_chick

which ways did you find out you could still apply please ? I also got below the requirement grade for the unis i want to apply to
Same here op.

B maths
D FM
D chem
D bio
Original post by LPauling
How can you apply to st andrews?

Original post by yungggnike
which ways did you find out you could still apply please ? I also got below the requirement grade for the unis i want to apply to

Okay. So, most of my exams are on the two year specification which means that they do not count towards A2. My college will use the AS results as something that helps predict my A2's, but they will also consider my class grades and mock exam grades (which are much higher). Plus, we get to negotiate with our personal tutors to let us have a better target grade (which they also will put on UCAS). I have heard stories of students getting C's at AS, and having their predicted grades as A/A*'s (which they often meet in A2). And making sure you have a glowing personal statement and reference is also a huge advantage. Plus, I am looking at getting one of my exams re-marked, as I don't think it is representative of my ability (I wrote on 8 extra pages in the exam, I feel like that should count for some knowledge!)

Also, I have extenuating circumstances which mainly happened during my English Lit exams (which I got a D in), which included vomit (trust me, it was not a good day!) which does not truly show my abilities, as I should have really gotten around a B where as I had been getting that grade in all my essays in class.

That's part of my method of madness. Hopefully it'll help. I don't expect to get into St. Andrews now, but I am certainly going to put it as my risky choice. :smile:
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah I'm screwed too

what did you get?
Original post by yungggnike
which unis willyou be applying to now and for what course ?

Well i waa hoping to apply to:
Cambridge with requirements A*AA
UCL at AAA
Southampton at AAA
Kings ABB

I'm predicted A*AA at A2 and wish to study Geography. But i know that Cambridge also look a lot at AS grades - so i have majorly disadvantaged myself.

Quick Reply