Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I kinda wanna go into veterinary medicine but I feel like my chances of getting in died today. I got predicted 4 As for my AS', but in reality i only got an A in History, B in Biology and C in both English lit and Chemistry. I'm planning on getting chemistry remarked because i honestly don't know how i managed to get a C?I'm not the greatest at chemistry but the amount of effort and work i've put in and the grades i got on past papers just dont match up
    My GCSE grades were averageish, 2A* 6A's and 2B's with A's in all sciences, English lang and maths. Realistically speaking what are my chances of getting in anywhere knowing how competitive it is and how below average my grades are.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were hoping for

You can find the GCSE and A level grade requirements for all the UK vet schools in those links. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine, but in general you want to be predicted at least AAA in your A levels to apply for vet med. Usually teachers have no problem predicting one grade above what you achieved at AS, so while you'll be fine for history and biology, you probably want to talk to your teachers about chemistry, and you'll have to retake some units next year. I've seen people with the same grades at AS get in, so don't panic With any luck the remark should bring back a positive result anyway.

I wouldn't worry about your grades not making you competitive enough. Vet applications are based more heavily on your personal statement and work experience than on grades alone; a few vet schools explicitly say for example that A*s aren't valued above As, so focus on your placements, extracurriculars etc if you want to stand out

I've just finished my first year of studying veterinary medicine at the Royal Veterinary College, so let me know if you have any other questions about applying/vet school in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were hoping for

You can find the GCSE and A level grade requirements for all the UK vet schools in those links. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine, but in general you want to be predicted at least AAA in your A levels to apply for vet med. Usually teachers have no problem predicting one grade above what you achieved at AS, so while you'll be fine for history and biology, you probably want to talk to your teachers about chemistry, and you'll have to retake some units next year. I've seen people with the same grades at AS get in, so don't panic With any luck the remark should bring back a positive result anyway.

I wouldn't worry about your grades not making you competitive enough. Vet applications are based more heavily on your personal statement and work experience than on grades alone; a few vet schools explicitly say for example that A*s aren't valued above As, so focus on your placements, extracurriculars etc if you want to stand out

I've just finished my first year of studying veterinary medicine at the Royal Veterinary College, so let me know if you have any other questions about applying/vet school in general
    Thanks for the advice! I was wondering if it'd be worth doing A2 and hopefully getting better results there and apply after taking a gap year? I've left it a bit to late to decide to do veterinary medicine as my original plan was to do medicine and so my work experience and volunteering placements are mainly geared towards medicine and not veterinary medicine. I don't think i could find anywhere that would have available placements or would take me on for work experience this late? So would taking a gap year and doing all my work experience and placements during that gap year, and hopefully applying with a better set of results be a more viable solution? Or is it at least worth a shot to apply this year too? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by snickercell)
    Thanks for the advice!
    No worries

I was wondering if it'd be worth doing A2 and hopefully getting better results there and apply after taking a gap year?
    Loads of vet medicine students take gap years so you definitely wouldn't be alone if you did that.

I've left it a bit to late to decide to do veterinary medicine as my original plan was to do medicine and so my work experience and volunteering placements are mainly geared towards medicine and not veterinary medicine. I don't think i could find anywhere that would have available placements or would take me on for work experience this late?
    What have you done so far? Generally for vet med it's recommended that you have at least ten weeks worth (Liverpool's old requirement); including four weeks of clinical practice and six of husbandry. Have a read of the work experience thread. Links in the resources thread may help you with finding placements. When I finished year 12 I just plugged my postcode into the RCVS's website, emailed the 50 closest practices and hoped for the best. Most didn't reply, but a few did and I ended up getting the placements I needed at short notice. Remember you can do weekly placements after college/at weekends which can help you get the numbers up.

So would taking a gap year and doing all my work experience and placements during that gap year, and hopefully applying with a better set of results be a more viable solution? Or is it at least worth a shot to apply this year too? Thanks
    Applying after a gap year sounds like a good idea, but applying now might also be a good shout, so that you can see how the application process works. Be careful, as some vet schools (for example Nottingham) do not allow reapplications if you reach interview stage, but if you get that far then it means that your work experience wasn't the issue, so that's a bit of a moot point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.