Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA AS English Literature A - shock result? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So today I got my AS results, and I was shocked to see that I recieved 3 As and a C in English lit. English has always been my strongest subject, I've been receiving high As all year and I am predicted an A*. I was very pleased with my exam essays too. My school is recalling my papers as something seems amiss - I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem today?

ReputationRep:
    Did you do aspects of tragedy for both papers? I also got my results today and was expected an A but got a C. Like your school, my school is recalling papers. They also said other people in my school was expected an A but got Cs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown1234brown)
    So today I got my AS results, and I was shocked to see that I recieved 3 As and a C in English lit. English has always been my strongest subject, I've been receiving high As all year and I am predicted an A*. I was very pleased with my exam essays too. My school is recalling my papers as something seems amiss - I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem today?
    I got my Maths and English results this morning. I was shocked with both results as I averaged 98% in Maths but received a D in English while I was predicted A's throughout the year. The majority of my class also were confused with their results, though my school haven't said anything about having our papers called back in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeedhamJames)
    Did you do aspects of tragedy for both papers? I also got my results today and was expected an A but got a C. Like your school, my school is recalling papers. They also said other people in my school was expected an A but got Cs.
    I did aspects of love for my papers, but I assume it's very similar. Just can't get my head round what I could've done so wrong! I'm praying it's some administrative error that they can put right. Fingers crossed for both of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielF1999)
    I got my Maths and English results this morning. I was shocked with both results as I averaged 98% in Maths but received a D in English while I was predicted A's throughout the year. The majority of my class also were confused with their results, though my school haven't said anything about having our papers called back in.
    I really hope your school does recall the papers as that doesn't sound right at all. There's been a number of problems across my year group aswell, I know that a whole IT class are recalling their papers as everyone recieved very low marks. I'm really hoping everything gets sorted out!

ReputationRep:
    I did English literature B, aspects of tragedy on both papers, and 5 people I spoke to today consecutively who also did this spec. all got an E (as well as myself)?? We were so confused it was almost like there had been a typo?? (Obviously I'm not suggesting there had been I'm not an idiot but we were all so shocked)

ReputationRep:
    My school is in the same situation over the tragedy papers, they are recalling them, since only 1 person got above a C when there are many of us, including myself, who were predicted a high A.

ReputationRep:
    I did B aspects of tragedy, I had food poisoning and had to be taken out of the first exam, and I only wrote half a typed page per question and I still managed to somehow get an A😂😂
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I did aspects of love for my papers, but I assume it's very similar. Just can't get my head round what I could've done so wrong! I'm praying it's some administrative error that they can put right. Fingers crossed for both of us
    Aspects of Tragedy is for English Literature B. You're on English Literature A which focuses on Love Through the Ages. Even though they are the same exam board, the specs are very different. Yours focuses on theme; whilst B focuses on genre. So I very much doubt it's anything similar. AQA might just have been very harsh this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Aspects of Tragedy is for English Literature B. You're on English Literature A which focuses on Love Through the Ages. Even though they are the same exam board, the specs are very different. Yours focuses on theme; whilst B focuses on genre. So I very much doubt it's anything similar. AQA might just have been very harsh this year.
    I know what spec I did. I mean our situation is similar. The grade boundaries for A were actually very generous which is what shocked me - to get a C you can drop 49 marks. If I was averaging 15 marks on each essay, I would've known about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in this exact situation- been getting 23-35 marks on all essays all year and come out of the exam with a D.. How is this possible at all? I have requested my scripts back and take it from there! Does anyone else feel like this is going to seriously hinder their university applications?

P.S- I got full UMS in English Language and the disparity is a little strange....

ReputationRep:
    Literal same thing happened to me, I got a B though.

ReputationRep:
    Just came back from holiday to have received my results in the post. I did Lit A, Love Through the Ages, and throughout the entire year, I was predicted As, along with one other class member who was also predicted As, scoring band 5 answers on pretty much all my essays. I am horrified that I've got a C, never in my life have I got a grade like that and I'm going to be challenging it. Considering that much of the class that were predicted low grades throughout the year achieved high grades. I am frustrated and confused as to what I could've done wrong, I'm terribly fearful for my university application now.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem I sat the AS English Literature paper from Edexcel code 8ET0. In class and in essays I got straights As but come the exam I ended up with a D, 4 UMS marks from a C. I am so dissappointed as I wanted to do English at uni and i dont know if I can anymore. Is it worth getting my paper remarked to see if it would at least shift my grade to a C????

ReputationRep:
    I bumped into my lecturer on the bus yesterday and he said we must have had an examiner who didn't really know what they were doing, but I've heard shock results on this paper from all over the country so I'm not so sure he's right. Or perhaps a lot of the examiners didn't really know how to mark it because it's a new spec? God knows

ReputationRep:
    I will also be remarking my paper, but I'm petrified of it going down. Only one person in my class recieved an A so I know it must be possible, I've been predicted As too but got a B on results day 😁 I just really wanted an A ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.