Turn on thread page Beta

Something other than a bra please watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate wearing bras! They dig in to my ribs when I sit down and make me feel like someone is pushing on my chest - not a nice feeling

I have to wear something to support my ample chest though, going braless is not an option people!

I realised that women in the 20's and 30's wore bodice type things but am unsure as to whether these did the same job as a bra does today.

Would one of these do the trick? And what would I be looking for? A bustier, basque,corset?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Those things are going to be more uncomfortable, I'm afraid... they're the reason bras were invented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    I hate wearing bras! They dig in to my ribs when I sit down and make me feel like someone is pushing on my chest - not a nice feeling

I have to wear something to support my ample chest though, going braless is not an option people!

I realised that women in the 20's and 30's wore bodice type things but am unsure as to whether these did the same job as a bra does today.

Would one of these do the trick? And what would I be looking for? A bustier, basque,corset?
    It probably just doesn't fit. I've been wearing a 36DD for about 5 years and I was recently re-measured as a 32FF, I can no longer feel it, I don't get bruising and I get no lumps or bumps even under tight t-shirts. Try getting re fitted before getting rid of a bra, if you're big it won't half hurt!! I'd recommend Bravissimo for the larger-busted lady.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, you're almost definitely wearing the wrong sized bra...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Certainly an ill-fitting bra. Go get yourself measured (in at least two or three places, just in case) and buy yourself a decent quality bra. Then come back, and if you still have the same problem...I'm stumped

ReputationRep:
    get a better fitting bra. A proper sized bra wont dig in or anything, you should barely know it's there. Get professionally fitted if you must.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with anyone else, you should go for a fitting, but it's probably best to avoid marks and spencer's fitting service because it's not very good!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Where is good for getting fitted then?

ReputationRep:
    I've personally found Bravissimo and Debenhams to be good.

ReputationRep:
    i (& everyone else i've spoken to about this) have found la senza's bras to be on the small side though, just a heads up for you!

ReputationRep:
    Bravissimo, House of Fraser- avoid like the PLAGUE M+S they said I was a B which I haven't been since I was about 11, La Senza are crap too- they said a D.

ReputationRep:
    I get fitted in my local underwear shop, its not a big chain store, just family run but very very good.

I realise thats not helpful if you dont live near me but its probably worth having a look around your area to see if there are independant underwear shops.

ReputationRep:
    wired bras can dig in, especially if you're young and still growing. why not try a wireless one?

(Original post by loser88)
    Bravissimo, House of Fraser- avoid like the PLAGUE M+S they said I was a B which I haven't been since I was about 11, La Senza are crap too- they said a D.
    m&s are really good in my experience

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere that doesn't use tape measures is good! La Senza use tape measures and seeing as their cup sizes are small, the size you'd get would be for their shop and no-where else. Bras can't be sized by tape measure as it depends on shape quite a lot!
    I strongly recommend Bravissimo

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you are wearing the wrong size bra. Try going for a fitting and try some non underwired bras to see if you find them more comfertable.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with Thud - marks and sparks have always been pretty good in my experience

ReputationRep:
    john lewis are great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herecomestrouble)
    i agree with Thud - marks and sparks have always been pretty good in my experience
    They were 4 cup sizes out and 3 back sizes out for me, on 3 different occasions!! In 3 different shops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    They were 4 cup sizes out and 3 back sizes out for me, on 3 different occasions!! In 3 different shops!
    great. they were always fine with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    great. they were always fine with me.
    Great. It's not a competition. :rolleyes: The point I'm making is that I was wearing the wrong size for many years and 76% of the bar-wearing population do. So you could be. And M+S fitted you- so they'd be crap, as I said.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.