Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

JLR Degree apprenticeship question Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got a question about this apprenticeship and it's entry requirements if anyone is doing it/planning on applying for it now that I've got my AS results.
    (The Engineering degree one,
    http://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.co...t/apprentices/ ). I achieved an A in Economics, C in physics, D in Chemistry and a low D in maths. My school wants me to drop maths though. But for the Engineering Degree apprenticeship scheme, the entry requirements are 2 C's at A level, but in mathematical subjects or a mathematical subject and a science. So I was wondering, will the Economics and Physics, or Physics and Chemistry, count as mathematical subjects? Also, if anyone is doing this scheme at the moment, I'd love to know what subjects you did/what grades you got if you wouldn't mind saying. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt, ask someone at JLR.
    I wouldn't drop maths, you'll have to do it on the apprenticeship anyway, so no point failing it now, to then fail it on your apprenticeship. (it will crop up yearly throughout the apprenticeship)

I did maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.

Great course but seriously, work on the maths.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is, the school won't let me carry it on, and it's the best sixth form near me, I really can't carry it on sadly. If I'm able to do the apprenticeship, I should be alright with the maths, I just had a combination of awful maths teachers and a lack of resources for it really. Did you/Are you doing the apprenticeship Donkey?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of assumption that you've done A -level maths with the teaching, it's kind of a given that you'll pass the maths because it's a prereq. for being there. But as you say, if you're prepared to work it's not too bad.

I'm currently on the apprenticeship and it is a good course, the first year is entirely college based, but once you get through that it becomes more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    There's a lot of assumption that you've done A -level maths with the teaching, it's kind of a given that you'll pass the maths because it's a prereq. for being there. But as you say, if you're prepared to work it's not too bad.

I'm currently on the apprenticeship and it is a good course, the first year is entirely college based, but once you get through that it becomes more interesting.
    Is there anyone else doing the degree apprenticeship that you know of who didn't do maths at AS? I found out quite a lot about it doing work experience in EESE there, but didn't ask at the time as it was far in advance of my AS results. May I ask which department area you're based in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Is there anyone else doing the degree apprenticeship that you know of who didn't do maths at AS? I found out quite a lot about it doing work experience in EESE there, but didn't ask at the time as it was far in advance of my AS results. May I ask which department area you're based in?
    There's a lot of BTEC people doing it who didn't do maths at A -Level who have struggled with the maths, but again, it's easily passed with some effort. It's more about how hard you work.
    I'll choose to preserve my anonymity given I'm the only apprentice in my department.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I understand, that's fine lol, didn't mean to be creepy I meant more anyone who did the A-Level route but didn't do A-Level maths and got in, by doing 2 sciences instead or something like that really. I had a look at the BTEC option but nowhere near me does it to a high enough level sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, it's not creepy and it'd be a lot easier if I worked in body CAD as there's dozens of apprentices, but I'm in a fairly small department, which is nice in a way as I get to know everyone, and actually get out and see a lot of the company. No one springs to mind when you say they did a maths based A level but not maths.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was concerned about lol, that the lack of maths A2 would prevent me. I'm hoping that as it says "two mathematical subjects or a mathematical subject and a science" physics counts as mathematical enough and I can do physics and chemistry. Some of the departments there are so massive, but when I went it seemed like everyone in the departments was still really close to each other which was nice.

ReputationRep:
    I would get in touch early and check they'll accept them. There'd be nothing worse than going into your last year at college knowing you can't do what you want to. It may also get your school to let you at least attempt the maths. From a D with some resits you could easily pull that up to a B/C

ReputationRep:
    I might get in touch with them, just don't want to look like a fool lol. If I can't do the scheme, I'll go and do economics or business management and try to get onto the grad scheme with them as an analyst,purchaser etc Thanks for all your advice, it was useful having someone actually doing it.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, best of luck. Worst case, if they reject it, you could always do maths in your own time.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, if they reject it, I won't have lost anything, and I'll probably carry on to do economics and try to end up at JLR in the future, just maybe in a different role. The worst they can do is say no. Thanks for the luck, I might need it hopefully not though.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I've just got one more question. Would you say the maths you have to use is maths they expect you to know from A2 maths, or do they teach you how to do the majority of the maths you need during the time at college? Sorry for all these questions lol. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    They teach you all the maths you need, but the difference is whether you need to go to extra tutorials to learn it all or whether the 2 hours a week is enough to learn it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so there's hope for me yet Thanks very much for the time you've spent answering my many questions lol.

ReputationRep:
    If you have any more burning questions feel free to message me. I'll answer as honestly as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    If you have any more burning questions feel free to message me. I'll answer as honestly as I can.

DN� >7��3�TP
    How hard was it for you to get onto the jlr degree apprenticeship as i am thinking of applying for the advanced apprenticeship ,iapplied a few years ago and i only got past the situational judgement test ,i'm hoping to get through all the stages this time if i got onto the advanced wouldi be able to work my way to the higher apprenticeship ,im currently doing btec level 3 engineering in my last year as i don't have a level maths that is whyi'm applying for the advanced could you give me some tips on how to besuccessful in my application and what type of people they look for in apprentices and how i can be successful in gaining an apprenticeship with jlrDN� >7��3�TP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa5125)
    DN� >7��3�TP
    How hard was it for you to get onto the jlr degree apprenticeship as i am thinking of applying for the advanced apprenticeship ,iapplied a few years ago and i only got past the situational judgement test ,i'm hoping to get through all the stages this time if i got onto the advanced wouldi be able to work my way to the higher apprenticeship ,im currently doing btec level 3 engineering in my last year as i don't have a level maths that is whyi'm applying for the advanced could you give me some tips on how to besuccessful in my application and what type of people they look for in apprentices and how i can be successful in gaining an apprenticeship with jlrDN� >7��3�TP
    I found the application process fairly straight forward, the most daunting thing for me was the assessment centre.

There's meant to be something being put in place to allow you to kind of hop on, hop off the apprenticeship schemes, so that you could do a degree later. There's a few who've already done advanced apprenticeships and are now going on to the degree.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.