The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Should I get tickets?

Hey everyone!
I've just found out that I will be attending Imperial College in London this October. There are a few concerts that I really want to go to in the first term. For example, theres one on a Sunday in the afternoon, and one on a Friday at about 7PM. I'm unsure about the timetabling at Imperial as I know some unis can go on quite late with teaching, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of work to do anyway. Would anyone be able to let me know the typical timetable of an Imperial Physics student so I know wether to book the tickets? :s-smilie:
Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
isn't your timetable due at the start of September?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
isn't your timetable due at the start of September?

I can enrol online with them on the 5th of September, but I'm not sure if that's when I get my timetable :/

I'm just interested if teaching actually goes on as late as 7, I know when I looked at Cambridge they said it could go on until 9pm, but I'm not sure if thats the same case here.
Reply 3
Original post by ninya98
Hey everyone!
I've just found out that I will be attending Imperial College in London this October. There are a few concerts that I really want to go to in the first term. For example, theres one on a Sunday in the afternoon, and one on a Friday at about 7PM. I'm unsure about the timetabling at Imperial as I know some unis can go on quite late with teaching, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of work to do anyway. Would anyone be able to let me know the typical timetable of an Imperial Physics student so I know wether to book the tickets? :s-smilie:
Thank you!

According to the timetables I found for 2015/2016, (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/natural-sciences/departments/physics/students/current-students/undergraduates/lecture-courses/timetables/),
every day begins at 9 AM and usually ends at 6 PM (except for Wednesday when you get the afternoon off).
Assuming the timetables are basically the same for this year.

However, I am also a new student at the physics department, so someone else might provide a more accurate answer.
Hello :h:
First of all congratulations on getting into Imperial! I'm about to start my final yarding Biology at Imperial so I can't say anything for certain about Physics, but I really don't think you will be having anything that ends at 7pm! Imperial is open (as in staff are there) between 9am and 6pm, but students aren't expected to be there all that time.

Where are the concerts? If they're in London and even if you get something ending at 6pm, so you should be able to make it in an hour. The latest lecture I had timetabled ended at 5pm, so I think you'd be unlucky getting something ending at 6pm anyway. Also as far as I know attendance for lectures isn't compulsory and missing one won't ruin your whole degree (go to as many as you can, but no one has failed for missing one lecture and Imperial has started trying to make all the lecturers record their lectures so you can catch up easily). Attendance for labs/tutorials is compulsory, but again I've never had anything ending later than 5pm.

I'd suggest going to the concerts (the Sunday one will be no problem at all). If the tickets aren't selling out too quickly for the Friday concert you could try and wait until you get your timetable (although we didn't get ours until a week before we started :s-smilie:), but I think you'll be fine. Maybe try and invite some people in your hall or on your course along? It's a great way to make friends!
Reply 5
Teaching typically ends at 6 pm. The only time you might be in later is if you have labs, but that's generally not a problem for first years, particularly in the first few weeks.
Reply 6
Original post by kanra
Teaching typically ends at 6 pm. The only time you might be in later is if you have labs, but that's generally not a problem for first years, particularly in the first few weeks.

That's really useful, thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Firefly13
Hello :h:
First of all congratulations on getting into Imperial! I'm about to start my final yarding Biology at Imperial so I can't say anything for certain about Physics, but I really don't think you will be having anything that ends at 7pm! Imperial is open (as in staff are there) between 9am and 6pm, but students aren't expected to be there all that time.

Where are the concerts? If they're in London and even if you get something ending at 6pm, so you should be able to make it in an hour. The latest lecture I had timetabled ended at 5pm, so I think you'd be unlucky getting something ending at 6pm anyway. Also as far as I know attendance for lectures isn't compulsory and missing one won't ruin your whole degree (go to as many as you can, but no one has failed for missing one lecture and Imperial has started trying to make all the lecturers record their lectures so you can catch up easily). Attendance for labs/tutorials is compulsory, but again I've never had anything ending later than 5pm.

I'd suggest going to the concerts (the Sunday one will be no problem at all). If the tickets aren't selling out too quickly for the Friday concert you could try and wait until you get your timetable (although we didn't get ours until a week before we started :s-smilie:), but I think you'll be fine. Maybe try and invite some people in your hall or on your course along? It's a great way to make friends!

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, for some reason yours didn't show before! That's very informative, thank you so much! I've booked the tickets, hopefully it'll all work out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending