International Relations / Politics Watch

amorgan86
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello all.

Can anyone give me their input on any of the following departments: Politics and contemporary European studies; international relations; social and political thought

I am planning to study at Sussex in the spring because several close friends of mine in the UK have recommended it to me. I am really just looking forward to having a good time when I go abroad, but in my essay for my application, I'd like to be able to put some information about those departments as reasons why I'd like to go there. I'm double majoring in history and international studies at UNC-Chapel Hill. I already saw the thread on the history department, which was helpful. I know I can google rankings, etc. for those departments at Sussex, but input from students always makes it more personal.

Thanks in advance!
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
IR is a brilliant department. Focusing specifically on security and violence, international political economy, and some of the more critical elements of international and political theory. They're currently taking on a couple of additional members of staff, as its a growing department, with a lot of young and enthusiastic members of staff.

Also, I don't think that Social and Political Thought would be relevant to you as an undergraduate, as it's a centre for Masters students and research.
Proton Boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't even know there was a specific social and political thought department!

The Politics department is pretty good, and some of the lecturers and seminar tutors have experience in areas such as the civil service so you can get quite a good insight into the workings of government. The first year courses are all pretty standard stuff and you learn about classical political philosophy, British 20th century political history, recurring themes and institutions in politics and how to conduct political science research. Many of the second and third year courses take a more micro approach into the specific politics of nations and regions and how and why sudden or gradual political change occurs at a variety of levels.
SussexJo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not entirely sure how relevant it is but you could talk about the many campaigning/political societies and general feel of Sussex which has a long reputation for campaigning and being quite progressive. There is a list of societies at www.ussu.info/minisites/index.php?cat_id=130 and if you give me another day or so I'll have finished updating all the pages they link to with more information (but yey look at the pretty pictures!)

Jo
Wise One
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SussexJo)
I'm not entirely sure how relevant it is but you could talk about the many campaigning/political societies and general feel of Sussex which has a long reputation for campaigning and being quite progressive. There is a list of societies at www.ussu.info/minisites/index.php?cat_id=130 and if you give me another day or so I'll have finished updating all the pages they link to with more information (but yey look at the pretty pictures!)

Jo
Shiny.
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
People are going to have a go at me for being negative, but I feel so let down by Politics.

I applied for deferred entry in 2003; by 2005/6 when I started they'd cut the two international Politics second year courses I was really interested in and a few of the third year ones have gone since then. What kind of a politics department doesn't cover China or India? The teaching wasn't great; apart from a couple, most of my seminar tutors were a bit rubbish, and the contact time is as low as any other department.

To be honest, and of course it is just my personal opinion but I've been doing a lot of looking around because I transferred out of Sussex this year; there are a lot of other reputable universities requiring the same or lower grades than Sussex, which offer much more varied and interesting courses.
Wise One
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by misslibby)
People are going to have a go at me for being negative, but I feel so let down by Politics.
No, you're right, there was certainly a bit of a kerfuffle about the lack of module choices by some of my mates doing Politics.

To be honest, I'm quite glad that Politics and IR went their seperate ways (used to be one department - IRP), as IR has taken on extra staff as a result, and is now a rapidly growing department.
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, IR does seem good from what I've seen (one of my housemates did it and I've done a few modules). I just feel like politics have taken the piss a bit with the amount of modules that they cut and it was unfortunate for me that they seemed to cut almost all of the ones I wanted to do...
srb23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was studying International Relations and Politics, but have since transferred to just IR.
I did'nt have the same quelms as miss libby, but I do associate my disapointment with the recent removal or china and india for the second year modules on politics of governance.
Personally I enjoyed the first year politics modules, except for research skills and methods in political science (very boring, but essential).
The foundations of political theory and the British Political history modules were quite interesting and I did enjoy them.
Though, their is a clear diffrence between the Politics and IR courses, I felt IR had a younger and more motivated tutors, and I felt seminars were more energetic.
Its annoying because I had very little background knowledge about IR when I joined sussex, politics helped fill in a lot of the gaps, but I generally feel that IR is going up and politics is going down in standards of teaching, so I dropped it.
The International Relations department is currently evolving in to something bigger, the societies up and running, and more events such as talks are appearing.
Plus, even if you do a single honours in IR, you still have to take politics electives in your second year, so people ae not losing out too bad.
At the end of the day Soccul is a good department, one of the biggest and is currently expanding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1072)
79.06%
Leave (284)
20.94%

Watched Threads