Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was in clearing and took a year off AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I was initially hoping to go to university for the 14/15 academic year but had failed to meet my offers of AAA and AAB as I came out with ABC. I then took a year out, did another A level, resat some exams half assedly and ended up in Bristol with AABC (A was from the other A level I did, other grades didn't change).

So I'm essentially making this thread to help those who perhaps didn't get the grades they needed and wanted some advice or comfort. I felt pretty damn bad when I failed to get in but I didn't want to pick anything out of clearing so I took a year out and made good use of my time doing other things instead! If you ask me now I'd rather have gotten in the first time, but bottom line is that it all turned out okay and I'm loving my time at Bristol and I'm glad I moved out of home in the end. AMA!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by misteltain)
    Hey everyone. I was initially hoping to go to university for the 14/15 academic year but had failed to meet my offers of AAA and AAB as I came out with ABC. I then took a year out, did another A level, resat some exams half assedly and ended up in Bristol with AABC (A was from the other A level I did, other grades didn't change).

So I'm essentially making this thread to help those who perhaps didn't get the grades they needed and wanted some advice or comfort. I felt pretty damn bad when I failed to get in but I didn't want to pick anything out of clearing so I took a year out and made good use of my time doing other things instead! If you ask me now I'd rather have gotten in the first time, but bottom line is that it all turned out okay and I'm loving my time at Bristol and I'm glad I moved out of home in the end. AMA!
    What do you like most about Bristol / your subject?
    What else did you do in your gap year?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Great idea for a thread Super that you're loving your time at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What do you like most about Bristol / your subject?
    What else did you do in your gap year?
    Hey, thanks for your questions! Bristol is a great city, perfect mix of city life but it also has some nature too! There are beautiful downs close to campus which are lovely to relax in, especially in summer.

As for what else I did: I learnt how to drive, got a part time job to save up a little for uni, joined a local orchestra as I stopped playing my instrument during my A-levels, traveled a bit and did that extra A-level. Also there was plenty of lazying around and unproductive gaming that was had I won't lie haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Great idea for a thread Super that you're loving your time at Bristol.
    Thanks! Just wanted to help out a little. I'm sure you know first hand how panicky people can get whilst they're in clearing haha.

ReputationRep:

hey! i am exactly at the same positions as you were, i really dont know what to do. I got some offers from kent and strathclyde but i dont wanna go there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your questions! Bristol is a great city, perfect mix of city life but it also has some nature too! There are beautiful downs close to campus which are lovely to relax in, especially in summer.

As for what else I did: I learnt how to drive, got a part time job to save up a little for uni, joined a local orchestra as I stopped playing my instrument during my A-levels, traveled a bit and did that extra A-level. Also there was plenty of lazying around and unproductive gaming that was had I won't lie haha.
    Where did you work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Where did you work?
    I worked at Next for a few months as a sales assistant. Fairly standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julistha)
    hey! i am exactly at the same positions as you were, i really dont know what to do. I got some offers from kent and strathclyde but i dont wanna go there.
    Do some research on both of those universities in relation to the course you applied for. There are two ways you could approach this. One, if you absolutely hate the uni to the core of your being and can't see yourself there at all, definitely don't make a decision on impulse and go just for the sake of it. My own gap year was unplanned but I very quickly tried to draw up a plan of what I could do to make use of that year since I was really keen on attending uni and didn't wanna feel like I wasted time. This is quite obvious advice I'd say. If you choose not to go, what will you do that'll make that year worth your while? Maybe you'll even come to the conclusion that uni isn't for you and that you'd prefer to do an apprenticeship or go straight into work.

Now for option 2. If you've had a look at the course structure and you think the campus and accommodation are alright, maybe you should give it a chance. I had a friend for example who's doing a foundation year at a uni she got to via clearing and wasn't particularly chuffed about it, but she thought she'd go anyway and then transfer to another one. Turns out she had such a great time there that she's staying on for the next 3 years. Most people do fall in love with their unis and on the off chance you don't, you could always transfer in the second year. For what it's worth I have another friend at Kent who's enjoying her time there.

ReputationRep:
    Do some research on both of those universities in relation to the course you applied for. There are two ways you could approach this. One, if you absolutely hate the uni to the core of your being and can't see yourself there at all, definitely don't make a decision on impulse and go just for the sake of it. My own gap year was unplanned but I very quickly tried to draw up a plan of what I could do to make use of that year since I was really keen on attending uni and didn't wanna feel like I wasted time. This is quite obvious advice I'd say. If you choose not to go, what will you do that'll make that year worth your while? Maybe you'll even come to the conclusion that uni isn't for you and that you'd prefer to do an apprenticeship or go straight into work.

Now for option 2. If you've had a look at the course structure and you think the campus and accommodation are alright, maybe you should give it a chance. I had a friend for example who's doing a foundation year at a uni she got to via clearing and wasn't particularly chuffed about it, but she thought she'd go anyway and then transfer to another one. Turns out she had such a great time there that she's staying on for the next 3 years. Most people do fall in love with their unis and on the off chance you don't, you could always transfer in the second year. For what it's worth I have another friend at Kent who's enjoying her time there.
    for the course i've been offered for, mine is at medway campus which is outside the main university plus i've read many bad reviews about the accommodation and campus which has put me off. I've also been looking for apprenticeships and applied for some but none has replied yet. seriously 2016 has been the worst of all year for me

ReputationRep:
    Where do you do your laundry?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.