What should I do about University?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have a problem, I didn't get my first choice but I got my insurance. The thing is the course with the insurance, earth sciences, wasn't as good as the first choice one. And throughout the year 13 I was thinking that maybe i didn't apply to the right course and that I would rather apply to do chemistry, as I am more familiar with the subject. I'm just confused... should i go and do a course that i'm not 100% sure on or stay in a2 and retake maths and apply through UCAS again to a chemistry course and go next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retropattern)
    Ok so I have a problem, I didn't get my first choice but I got my insurance. The thing is the course with the insurance, earth sciences, wasn't as good as the first choice one. And throughout the year 13 I was thinking that maybe i didn't apply to the right course and that I would rather apply to do chemistry, as I am more familiar with the subject. I'm just confused... should i go and do a course that i'm not 100% sure on or stay in a2 and retake maths and apply through UCAS again to a chemistry course and go next year.
    Don't go anywhere you aren't sure about. It can be an expensive way to be miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Only you can decide that. I would go for the course you want to do more but youd lose a year

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    This can be such a confusing time I know! Have you considered applying to clearing to go to uni in September? We have spaces on several Chemistry courses. http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...rses/clearing/ Our cleaing hotline number is
    0800 0483 334 where you can chat to one of the team and they will be happy to ta;l to you about your options

Emily
    Student ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Don't panic and consider applying through Clearing. Clearing is an opportunity to re-evaluate and review your choices now that you know your results. Our clearing hotline number is 01332 592016 and our advisors can talk you through it all.

Thanks,
    Louise

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked clearing for courses you'd prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Does your insurance choice offer chemistry? They might be able to let you switch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Does your insurance choice offer chemistry? They might be able to let you switch
    i feel like they would just say why didn't you apply to chemistry beforehand. Should i say that i'm an indecisive idiot?

i feel like they would just say why didn't you apply to chemistry beforehand. Should i say that i'm an indecisive idiot?
    No just represent yourself calmly and clearly.

Simply check if they do Chemistry and that youd like to change course.

If you dont ask you dont get.

If they do not, then look at clearing, but depending on what your grades are and which unis are on offer, then I would rule out resits and reapplying. Its important to get on the course you want to do and preferably at the place you want to study (within academic limitations).

The reason to take your time and make sure its the correct decisions is becayse you will be leaving Uni with c £50,000 worth of debt and you only really get one chance, so you have to get it right.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly normal for students to change their mind about what they want to study. You won't be the first to ask to change course nor the last.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.