Starting AQA AS Chemistry in September - resources?

Watch this thread
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm starting AS chemistry in september, can anyone suggest good online resources? I will be purchasing the text books etc from school but is there anything online/youtube channels etc?

Also would you say this course is a lot of memorising and how much more advanced is it than GCSE?

Thank you for your help
Math12345
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I always found chemguide had pretty clear explanations without over complicating what you need for A/AS level www.chemguide.co.uk.

In general though I used standard text books and my teachers to learn the relevant stuff!

Compared to GCSE it's certainly a significant step up but I felt it sort of followed on and built up rather than being a huge leap.

You can do quite well by memorising stuff, but I would say the better you understand something the less you need to memorise about it. So although memorisation might be necessary in some places in the course, if you work to understand a topic inside out then you don't have to do so much memorisation if that makes sense!
LouKayenta05
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I found a youtube channel that works with the spec pretty well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCps...su6-b-7mwK41lg
There's tons of different long/short videos.

Some are for the old spec, but the more recent ones for the new spec say so in the title - I used these mainly for revision when I was feeling a bit lazy, and probably will for A2 this year too!

For me the biggest step up between GCSE and AS was the maths involved. Chem is the only science subject I'm doing so none of my others involve maths and formulae. Really understanding the bigger equations was something I focused on, but it sank in eventually.
Otherwise like mentioned above, it builds quite nicely on the theory learnt at GCSE with some additions here and there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads