The Student Room Group

Commuting on Nursing course

Hi, I am starting my nursing degree at de montfort in september. I have asked about a parking permit for my accommodation but they are all taken. As I will be going on lots of different placements during my course I am worried as to commuting and whilst I know there are more students than parking spaces I am wondering how others in the past have got around this problem.
Original post by 2456011
Hi, I am starting my nursing degree at de montfort in september. I have asked about a parking permit for my accommodation but they are all taken. As I will be going on lots of different placements during my course I am worried as to commuting and whilst I know there are more students than parking spaces I am wondering how others in the past have got around this problem.

Have you thought about lift-sharing? Perhaps when you start you could speak to some of the other commuters and find out if they're up for it :h: Ask the uni if there is a list of others who have enquired about a parking permit too.
Original post by 2456011

If public transport is decent then that can be a good option, and when you consider that you would you have to pay for parking and permits, it works out at a similar price.

Realistically how you move forward from here depends on how much geographical area you can be expected to travel to for your placements. Often if you have told the university that you are a driver, you will be allocated some of the more rural placements. There probably isn't any way that the uni will allow you to get a permit at this point, so you may need to look for alternative local parking.
It really will depend on the location. You might need to do a wee bit of research around your accomodation and placement areas. Although the placements I could find myself on will have car parking challenges, I know there are areas nearby where I can park for free and take a little walk. You will also have to consider what time you might be arriving, for example, it might be no bother to find parking early in the morning, but impossible if a shift starts in the afternoon.

I will probably drive if I have very early starts and take public transport if I have a later shift.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending