Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

Im starting my biology degree this Sept @ Cardiff! Woohoo, lol
    The thing is I will have to commute and live 45mins away from cardiff and am not local to Cardiff. (1hr & hlf by bus). Which wold be a problem when gettin homw 4rm a student night out!!

I am really worried that by commuting I am goin' to miss out on all the fun & will find it harder to make friends than if I lived in the student halls?!!!
    Is it hard if you commute to Cardiff to experience the "Student Life"?
    At worst I have these visions of me being a social outcast with one or two mates from my class! :eek: Man I know that sounds dramatic but Im really looking 4ward to coming to cardiff but dont wanna be left out of all the good stuff because I dont live on site.
    If you guys have any advice, stories of mates who commuted then please fill me - It would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks
    P.s Any other info you have e.g. important dates, events happening in Sept let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

where do you live then? (which direction :P). I live in neath which is about the same distance so I was just curious as to whether you were around here.

Your question about student nights out; well surely your mates will let you crash on their floor or something?

You shouldn't miss out really. You'll have all your lectures with the same people and get to know them that way. As you've said, though, it will be more difficult to go out with your friends as you will actually be living so far away.

Meh, I'm rambling, I know.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Ebbw Vale so it will be a bit of a trek. Are you a frist year or already studying at Cardiff? Do you live there or commute?
    (Sorry about the 21 questions, lol)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'll be doing a MChem in cardiff next year. I would really urge you to consider staying in the student halls if that option is open to you. In my opinion it's the only way to get a taste of univerity life. It's also the best way to make friends and get things started.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have no useful information to add to this thread (sorry ) but I'm pleased there's someone else studying Biology at Cardiff from September on these boards!

See you in September... maybe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Hey, I have no useful information to add to this thread (sorry ) but I'm pleased there's someone else studying Biology at Cardiff from September on these boards!

See you in September... maybe!
    Hay thats good to know then - Whats your name? I'll have to keep an eye out for you, lol. Havent really seen any other posts 4rm people studying biol either!

Come on Da Hool - There was no need to diss biology dude!
    Your not helping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlZ)
    Come on Da Hool - There was no need to diss biology dude!
    Your not helping

:aetsch:

nah I was just kidding. biology is a good course, but i'm more of a chemistry guy myself.

ReputationRep:
    Lol starting in September hopefully and will be living in halls.

How come you've decided to stay at home then? I can't wait to get out of Neath :P.

ReputationRep:
    what course you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Guys - Have decided that i am goin to live there this year! Will most probably commute year 2 and 3 but hey gonna go 4 it!! lol

ReputationRep:
    Hay Ed - We can close this thread now! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlZ)
    Guys - Have decided that i am goin to live there this year! Will most probably commute year 2 and 3 but hey gonna go 4 it!! lol
    Good choice :cool:

I've decided to apply for halls and i live around 40 mins away too. I really wouldn't have the patience for the long distance bus journeys every day..

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to halls and I'm from Nottingham! At least you all can go home easier than I can! It will be a very long bus journey indeed for me.

(Applied to do English Language, which doesn't involve writing sotries OR becomming a teacher after graduation :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    Whats wwrong with writing stories or becoming a teacher after graduating?????

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Language yay .

And good choice Karlz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlZ)
    Whats wwrong with writing stories or becoming a teacher after graduating?????
    Nothing's wrong with writing stories or becoming a teacher after graduating - I actually like creative writing. What I meant was, when I told my Dad I was going to do an English degree, he thought it would involve writing stories like we did for SATs and it really offended me.

As for becoming a teacher after graduation, this is basically how the conversation goes:
    Acquaintance - So, which university are you going to?
    Me - Cardiff
    Acquaintance - Oooh very nice. What are you doing there?
    Me - English
    Acquaintance - Oh wow. Are you going to teach then?
    Me - :mad:

OK, so the vast majority of graduates teach but not all of us! Jeez

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get that all the time too

ReputationRep:
    Do you find it slightly irritating or is it just me?

See ya in September!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 31, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.