Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So today I got my AS results and I'm feeling really down . I managed A's in bio and chem and was 1 ums off an A in maths. But I got a D in computer Science :'(. I really want to study medicine so is it still possible? At GCSE I got 7A*/As and have a decent amount of work experience. My UKCAT exam is on the 10th of September so I guess that's my only hope :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takurino)
    So today I got my AS results and I'm feeling really down . I managed A's in bio and chem and was 1 ums off an A in maths. But I got a D in computer Science :'(. I really want to study medicine so is it still possible? At GCSE I got 7A*/As and have a decent amount of work experience. My UKCAT exam is on the 10th of September so I guess that's my only hope :/.
    You should be able to get into a medicine course regardless of the D in comp sci,
    after all medicine is more focused on biology and chemistry than computer usage and theory. The high B in maths is definitely still valid for the course and universities often have a bit of leniency when it comes to the ums points so you should be fine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yes, while the D in Comp Sci will be of some concern to certain Unis, you will have a better shot at others.

Have a look here for our list of the A-level requirements for UK Medical schools.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm sorry you're disappointed with your results. Don't worry though - the AAA A2 prediction is the main thing. You will need to be careful not to apply to anywhere that needs a certain grade in the dropped AS - e.g. some medical schools need either a C or a B. It's not over though - don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I'm sorry you're disappointed with your results. Don't worry though - the AAA A2 prediction is the main thing. You will need to be careful not to apply to anywhere that needs a certain grade in the dropped AS - e.g. some medical schools need either a C or a B. It's not over though - don't worry.
    Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Yes, while the D in Comp Sci will be of some concern to certain Unis, you will have a better shot at others.

Have a look here for our list of the A-level requirements for UK Medical schools.
    Thank you so much, I was looking for this list.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for the advice.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That bloke 2016)
    You should be able to get into a medicine course regardless of the D in comp sci,
    after all medicine is more focused on biology and chemistry than computer usage and theory. The high B in maths is definitely still valid for the course and universities often have a bit of leniency when it comes to the ums points so you should be fine.
    I'm planning on retaking core 1 for maths so hopefully this will be boosted to an A. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on retaking core 1 for maths so hopefully this will be boosted to an A. Thanks for the advice.
    Ah, the shock that was MPC1, got me too. anyway good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting the maths remarked? Worth thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Are you getting the maths remarked? Worth thinking about.
    No I'll probably retake C1. I got A's in C2 and S1 but a C in C1 so I'll be better off retaking and having a chance at getting an even higher UMS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.