Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My laptop is about 5 years old. If I check the status of the battery, it always says its 100% full, but as soon as I turn it off at the mains, the computer instantly switches off. It's as if it doesn't realise it needs to switch to battery power. Is it possible that I need a new battery, or is there some setting that I need to do to make it use the battery instead of the mains?

ReputationRep:
    New battery methinks. Mine practically does that, says it is charging 99% or similar when plugged in, then drops to 11% and lasts about 2 minutes when you unplug. I probably need one too.

ReputationRep:
    Laptops have lithium ion batteries, which degrade over time even if not used, especially if they're hot (such as left in a laptop). By 5 years they probably can't hold enough charge to keep the laptop happy, so you will need a new battery - importantly, one which was manufactured recently. Buying a battery that's also 5 years old from when your laptop was new will be no good at all.

ReputationRep:
    Thought that might be case - thanks

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.