The Student Room Group

My OH assessment

I just thought i'd give a brief example of what my OH assessment was like. Before i went for mine i'd never had one, and it may help people in a similar position to get some insight...

I had no idea what to expect, but it didn't last very long. I was asked lots of questions and i answered them all as honestly as i could. I didn't lie at all as those sorts of things have a habit of coming back to haunt you and i have no intention of losing my uni place because i lied. The more honest i am the more support i'm likely to get from the beginning because they will be aware of my circumstances (if i am accepted). I mentioned me being admitted to hospital recently, as i got the impression that i could have quite happily sat there, not said anything and walked away but ethically/morally i felt that would have been wrong. He has to get a report from my GP, but the feedback wasn't completly bad. At least i was true to myself.

They didn't take any bloods or check my BP or weight which i expected. Mostly the questions focused on my mental health, the medication i was currently on and how i thought i would cope with the stress and strain of studying something like medicine. The doctor also talking to me about what my offer grades were and things like that which surprised me, but i guess he just wanted a general overview.
Reply 1
Sarky

I just thought i'd give a brief example of what my OH assessment was like. Before i went for mine i'd never had one, and it may help people in a similar position to get some insight...

I had no idea what to expect, but it didn't last very long. I was asked lots of questions and i answered them all as honestly as i could. I didn't lie at all as those sorts of things have a habit of coming back to haunt you and i have no intention of losing my uni place because i lied. The more honest i am the more support i'm likely to get from the beginning because they will be aware of my circumstances (if i am accepted). I mentioned me being admitted to hospital recently, as i got the impression that i could have quite happily sat there, not said anything and walked away but ethically/morally i felt that would have been wrong. He has to get a report from my GP, but the feedback wasn't completly bad. At least i was true to myself.

They didn't take any bloods or check my BP or weight which i expected. Mostly the questions focused on my mental health, the medication i was currently on and how i thought i would cope with the stress and strain of studying something like medicine. The doctor also talking to me about what my offer grades were and things like that which surprised me, but i guess he just wanted a general overview.

Sounds about the same as my OH interivew at Swansea.

Glad you got through it :smile:
Reply 2
Fluffy
Sounds about the same as my OH interivew at Swansea.

Glad you got through it :smile:

Its not over yet, they want a report from my GP and have to have a meeting to discuss what they think (the OH team) so that is pretty scary, and i could still be considered fit to practice but miss my offer grades. Or I could get my offer grades and be considered unfit to practice.

Its just a waiting game.

Thank you though.
Reply 3
Sarky

Its not over yet, they want a report from my GP and have to have a meeting to discuss what they think (the OH team) so that is pretty scary, and i could still be considered fit to practice but miss my offer grades. Or I could get my offer grades and be considered unfit to practice.

Its just a waiting game.

Thank you though.

But you're over the first hurdle. And you chose the path of truth - never a bad idea in these situations!

Hope everything works out for you - I really do.
Reply 4
Fluffy
But you're over the first hurdle. And you chose the path of truth - never a bad idea in these situations!

Hope everything works out for you - I really do.

Thank you very much.
Reply 5
is this occupational health?

I didnt know we had to go through one??

OMG
Reply 6
lollipop
is this occupational health?

I didnt know we had to go through one??

OMG

every prospectus i've seen has mentioned this under 'requirements' - as well as academic, you do need to pass their occupational health requirements, because ultimately the GMC will not register you if they don't judge you "fit to practise".

normally offers are made on both academic grounds & satisfactory Oc. Health assessment (immunity & filling in a questionnaire normally).

Anyway, as i'm sure Sarky & Fluffy will agree, it is best to be totally honest.. if the school has made you an offer then they are on your side! but they need to check out your health to make sure that doing a degree like medicine might not put yours or potentially other people's health at risk.

The form i got from Oxford actually stated in the guidance notes that the rates of EDs amongst female medical students are fairly high.. but these & other psychological or physical conditions are not necessarily a barrier. However, lying about them shows an untrust-worthy nature & that in itself may cause you to be failed or later thrown out (normally your GP has to sign too..).
Reply 7
Go Sarky!
Honesty is the best policy
Have a good time tonighthun- you deserve it! Love to everyone and my apologies for not making it :tongue:

PS hope weegie has a whale of a time! :wink: :biggrin:

Latest