Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my as level results and for some subjects i did bad. I got B in maths B in business E in chemistry and U in physics. I'm thinking of continuing maths and business to a2 and thinking of doing an intense year of a subject.

is that a good idea? how hard is it doing as and a2 in one year?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by a012)
    I just got my as level results and for some subjects i did bad. I got B in maths B in business E in chemistry and U in physics. I'm thinking of continuing maths and business to a2 and thinking of doing an intense year of a subject.

I got AEEE in my AS and resat all of my as exams whilst doing my a2 and finished with BEE, so personally i'd advising thinking carefully what you'd like to resit as although you wouldnt be doing as many exams as I did, the less exams you do the better really.

ReputationRep:
    so lucky, you got a b , i wanted a b and got a c
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by a012)

I got AEEE in my AS and resat all of my as exams whilst doing my a2 and finished with BEE, so personally i'd advising thinking carefully what you'd like to resit as although you wouldnt be doing as many exams as I did, the less exams you do the better really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    im thinking of keeping the subjects i got B in and continue to do that for a2. Drop the subjects i did bad in and take up a subject and complete it in a year. i know i'm going to have quite a few exams but dont want to do a 3rd year for one subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te.lope)
    so lucky, you got a b , i wanted a b and got a c
    what grades did you get?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by a012)
    im thinking of keeping the subjects i got B in and continue to do that for a2. Drop the subjects i did bad in and take up a subject and complete it in a year. i know i'm going to have quite a few exams but dont want to do a 3rd year for one subject.
    That does seem achievable as long as you can on top of things.

ReputationRep:
    That does seem achievable as long as you can on top of things.
    if i do that, when applying to uni for next year do i include that i'm doing as and a2 for a subject in a year? what grades will they base me on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a012)
    what grades did you get?
    Maths was the only as that i did since all the other subjects i do the exams at the end of the year, so all i have is my AS maths grade (C)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by a012)
    if i do that, when applying to uni for next year do i include that i'm doing as and a2 for a subject in a year? what grades will they base me on?
    You would include the grades you got this year, what you are doing for A2 and the subject you are doing as and a2 for in one year. They'd go off the A2's but it depends what you get predicted for the one you do in a year and if that's believable i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    You would include the grades you got this year, what you are doing for A2 and the subject you are doing as and a2 for in one year. They'd go off the A2's but it depends what you get predicted for the one you do in a year and if that's believable i suppose.
    ok thanks, would my predicted grades be high for the subjects i got Bs in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a012)
    I did an as and a2 subject in one year this year. When you're filling in your UCAS application, you simply enter for example, AS in Mathematics with grade Pending (year 2017) and A2 in Mathematics with grade pending (year 2017). They have easy to use drop down lists, so don't worry about trying entering them too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by backtraced)
    I did an as and a2 subject in one year this year. When you're filling in your UCAS application, you simply enter for example, AS in Mathematics with grade Pending (year 2017) and A2 in Mathematics with grade pending (year 2017). They have easy to use drop down lists, so don't worry about trying entering them too much.
    How did you find it doing it one year? so i can still go to uni next year considering i get good grades?

ReputationRep:
    Also, would like to ask whether doing 2 A levels and 1 btec is better than doing 3 A levels?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by a012)
    ok thanks, would my predicted grades be high for the subjects i got Bs in?
    (Original post by a012)
    Also, would like to ask whether doing 2 A levels and 1 btec is better than doing 3 A levels?
    It depends on your teachers/ school and that depends on what you are applying for really.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your teachers/ school and that depends on what you are applying for really.
    i'm looking to either study psychology or Law
    however, with psychology unis ask for gsce maths at B and i dont have that, does that mean despite me getting the results i will still get rejected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a012)
    How did you find it doing it one year? so i can still go to uni next year considering i get good grades?
    I found it rather easy, but that might be because I stayed an extra year (i'm in year 14).

It depends on what sort of course you're wanting to cram the 2 years into 1 in. I personally did BTEC applied science 2 years in one, because I couldn't do any others due to the change in specs. I originally wanted to do English Lit 2 years in 1. To be honest, I found the BTEC such a breeze to complete in 1 year, and I came out with a D* in the end.

Overall, I have a B in Maths, B in health and social (though it should be an A, currently arguing with OCR over it...) and a D*, as well as AS biology and AS further maths at a D and an E respectively. Granted, my mathematics was just a resit of year 12 (C1, C2, S1 and D1) as I already completed C3/4 in year 13, and my health and social care was just a resit of 2 modules of coursework.

As claireestelle said, it depends on the course and university as to whether BTECs would be a good choice. I'd email or phone (though i'd steer clear of phones atm due to clearing) prospective universities and ask them if they'll accept BTECs if they're at a specific grade.

With your GCSE maths issue, i'm not completely certain but you might. Again, i'd email or phone universities and ask them before applying.

ReputationRep:
    I found it rather easy, but that might be because I stayed an extra year (i'm in year 14).

It depends on what sort of course you're wanting to cram the 2 years into 1 in. I personally did BTEC applied science 2 years in one, because I couldn't do any others due to the change in specs. I originally wanted to do English Lit 2 years in 1. To be honest, I found the BTEC such a breeze to complete in 1 year, and I came out with a D* in the end.

Overall, I have a B in Maths, B in health and social (though it should be an A, currently arguing with OCR over it...) and a D*, as well as AS biology and AS further maths at a D and an E respectively. Granted, my mathematics was just a resit of year 12 (C1, C2, S1 and D1) as I already completed C3/4 in year 13, and my health and social care was just a resit of 2 modules of coursework.

As claireestelle said, it depends on the course and university as to whether BTECs would be a good choice. I'd email or phone (though i'd steer clear of phones atm due to clearing) prospective universities and ask them if they'll accept BTECs if they're at a specific grade.

With your GCSE maths issue, i'm not completely certain but you might. Again, i'd email or phone universities and ask them before applying.
    i will definitely call and ask. i'm planning on doing AS and A2 RS. ive noticed that the specification for RS changes this year so im not sure how it will work? will i still be able to do it in one year?

my second choice is doing AS and A2 law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a012)
    i will definitely call and ask. i'm planning on doing AS and A2 RS. ive noticed that the specification for RS changes this year so im not sure how it will work? will i still be able to do it in one year?

my second choice is doing AS and A2 law
    That might be a question to ask the teachers of that subject - i'm not entirely too sure, but if the specification changes then you may not be able to.

It might also be worth talking to the teachers who teach your Law course, so you can get a feel for the course and see what they think about trying 2 years in one.

ReputationRep:
    That might be a question to ask the teachers of that subject - i'm not entirely too sure, but if the specification changes then you may not be able to.

It might also be worth talking to the teachers who teach your Law course, so you can get a feel for the course and see what they think about trying 2 years in one.
    yeah i will talk to the teachers, i checked the law course and that hasn't changed into linear yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.