The Student Room Group

Help on choosing what AS level to drop

I just received my AS grades. I got 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I want to study chemistry at university. I'm not sure whether to drop physics or further maths. I hated physics this year and I have to learn AS and A2 content for yr 13 exams. Further maths I enjoyed, I got As in 2 modules and a B in M1 so I am not sure if I should retake M1. Any advice is good advice thanks.
Original post by helpme:)
I just received my AS grades. I got 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I want to study chemistry at university. I'm not sure whether to drop physics or further maths. I hated physics this year and I have to learn AS and A2 content for yr 13 exams. Further maths I enjoyed, I got As in 2 modules and a B in M1 so I am not sure if I should retake M1. Any advice is good advice thanks.

Drop the one you like the least. You have to study this subject for another year! Your motivation to study and do well will increase if you actually enjoy what you study :tongue:
Super well done for getting those grades, they're amazing! :smile: Have you looked at the subject requirements for chemistry courses? If physics isn't required then I would recommend dropping it because you say you didn't like it even though I'd say it's more relevant to chemistry than further maths. You're more likely to get a better grade in a subject that you enjoy!
Have you considered carrying on with 4 A-levels? With four A's you're clearly a capable student and you'd probably be fine continuing with all of them. However, if you'd rather focus on 3 I'd do further maths if you enjoy it much more- you'll probably be more motivated and do better.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Super well done for getting those grades, they're amazing! :smile: Have you looked at the subject requirements for chemistry courses? If physics isn't required then I would recommend dropping it because you say you didn't like it even though I'd say it's more relevant to chemistry than further maths. You're more likely to get a better grade in a subject that you enjoy!

Thank you very much. Yes the places I want to go to require maths and chemistry. That is what I was thinking. I will probably do further maths. Thanks for the help.
Reply 5
Thank you very much. Yes, the places I want to go to require maths and chemistry. That is what I was thinking. I will probably do further maths. Thanks for the help.
Reply 6
Original post by sindyscape62
Have you considered carrying on with 4 A-levels? With four A's you're clearly a capable student and you'd probably be fine continuing with all of them. However, if you'd rather focus on 3 I'd do further maths if you enjoy it much more- you'll probably be more motivated and do better.

I did think about it but tbh I think it will be too much work and I would rather make sure I get 3 very good a levels. Good idea. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
I'd say drop physics and keep further maths. You could redo your M1 module, but to me an A grade in further maths is brilliant, I'd just focus on Year 13 now and leave your grade how it is if I were you.

Quick Reply

Latest