Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I got my AS results back today:
    Chemistry: C
    Biology: A
    Maths: B
    Latin: A

I got 10 A*s at GCSE so this is a bit of a low for me. I was predicted 4 As. I know that biology and chemistry don't count for the full a-level. I'm also dropping Latin.

I wanted to apply to Oxford and UCL.
    I've got the relevant work experience but haven't done the UKCat or the Bmat (obviously) yet.

What are my chances?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trynagetintouni)
    Hello everyone,

I got 10 A*s at GCSE so this is a bit of a low for me. I was predicted 4 As. I know that biology and chemistry don't count for the full a-level. I'm also dropping Latin.

I've got the relevant work experience but haven't done the UKCat or the Bmat (obviously) yet.

What are my chances?
    Hi

I am sorry that you feel low about your grades.

I wouldn't worry though. The AAA prediction is the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

What are my chances?
    Those aren't bad results by any means, so well done.

In terms of medicine - yeah you need to be predicted three As as a minimum. If you can get this prediction then I don't see why you shouldn't apply this year. I would also consider doing a few module resits (if you can) in chemistry.

Why are you dropping Latin when you've got an A in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Hi

I am sorry that you feel low about your grades.

I wouldn't worry though. The AAA prediction is the main thing.

Thank you. But will universities still be able to see my AS grades and refuse me a place based on that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you. But will universities still be able to see my AS grades and refuse me a place based on that?
    It depends on the university - each university has their own admissions criteria and some don't look at them at all. So don't let it get you down too much - it's more a knock to your confidence than a real barrier to getting into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Those aren't bad results by any means, so well done.

In terms of medicine - yeah you need to be predicted three As as a minimum. If you can get this prediction then I don't see why you shouldn't apply this year. I would also consider doing a few module resits (if you can) in chemistry.

Why are you dropping Latin when you've got an A in it?
    Because it's Linear A levels, and so AS levels technically don't count, I don't think we can resit them for chemistry,
    I wanted to drop Latin because I thought it would be best to carry all maths and science subjects forward, but I'm not so sure now.
    If I were to take Latin, biology and chemistry forward, that might increase my predicted grades. Does a B in AS level maths not matter then? Will unis see it?

Thanks so much for replying by the way. 🙂 I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's Linear A levels, and so AS levels technically don't count, I don't think we can resit them for chemistry,
    I wanted to drop Latin because I thought it would be best to carry all maths and science subjects forward, but I'm not so sure now.
    If I were to take Latin, biology and chemistry forward, that might increase my predicted grades. Does a B in AS level maths not matter then? Will unis see it?

Thanks so much for replying by the way. 🙂 I really appreciate it.
    You're welcome.

I didn't know about the linear A levels or the new resit policy - that's annoying.

There would be nothing wrong with doing biology, chemistry and Latin and dropping maths. You don't need maths to get into med school. Is there any other reason why you want to keep it?

I personally think that if you've got an A in Latin and a B in maths, it's worth making your life that bit easier and just continuing Latin to year 13. Especially if it's going to increase your chances of getting an AAA prediction.

You would have to declare your maths AS level yes, but I think the majority of med schools would be okay with it assuming you're predicted AAA. Do double check before applying though.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

What are my chances?
    What were your stats? And what were your predicted grades? I'm in year 12 hoping to apply this year for 2018 entry and I've got a feeling chem has gone bad and so don't think my teacher will predict me an A? Any tips to get them to predict me an A for medicine if I got a B or C at AS?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.