The Student Room Group

Does the subject that you drop in Year 12 count for anything?

I'm going into year 12 in September, taking Maths, Economics and Chemistry for certain. However, for my 4th option, I'm very unsure as to how much of an impact it will have on my future. Soooo, this begs the question of: Is it worth taking a big subject?
Maths, Economics and Chemistry are already big subjects I'm guessing, with large workloads, so my potential choice of English Literature may not be worth taking, seeing as though there's a lot of work to be expected - although I very much enjoy English Lit, It's probably not going to be a part of my future.

Any advice is very welcome, thanks!
It's rare that a specific AS grade/subject will form part of a course's entry requirements. What subject are you hoping to apply for? I would recommend taking a subject that you enjoy and that you'll probably get the best grade in out of your shortlist.
Original post by Bondioz
I'm going into year 12 in September, taking Maths, Economics and Chemistry for certain. However, for my 4th option, I'm very unsure as to how much of an impact it will have on my future. Soooo, this begs the question of: Is it worth taking a big subject?
Maths, Economics and Chemistry are already big subjects I'm guessing, with large workloads, so my potential choice of English Literature may not be worth taking, seeing as though there's a lot of work to be expected - although I very much enjoy English Lit, It's probably not going to be a part of my future.

Any advice is very welcome, thanks!

Definitely take subjects you enjoy. The more you enjoy a subject, the more you will work at it, so the better you will end up doing! It will also add some weight to your applications, and keeps options open if you decide to change your mind about another subject :yep:
In my opinion the 4th subject generally has less of an impact when applying for university as they generally ask for 3 (AAB, ABB) but it's worth taking the 4th in a related field to something you might want to do as a degree in university as it may make you a stronger candidate. Alternatively you can just take a 4th in anything you find interest in. I took art because it was a nice stress relief. You'd be surprised how many skills cross over from what seems like unrelated subjects. Do English Lit if you enjoy it and think you can cope with extra coursework etc. Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis
Definitely take subjects you enjoy. The more you enjoy a subject, the more you will work at it, so the better you will end up doing! It will also add some weight to your applications, and keeps options open if you decide to change your mind about another subject :yep:

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm just unsure about whether doing English Lit for 1 year will effect how I do in the other, what I feel to be, more important subjects?
Original post by Bondioz
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm just unsure about whether doing English Lit for 1 year will effect how I do in the other, what I feel to be, more important subjects?

At the end of the day, no A-level is 'easy', and all will require work. Why not make it count? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by CardiffAlvin
In my opinion the 4th subject generally has less of an impact when applying for university as they generally ask for 3 (AAB, ABB) but it's worth taking the 4th in a related field to something you might want to do as a degree in university as it may make you a stronger candidate. Alternatively you can just take a 4th in anything you find interest in. I took art because it was a nice stress relief. You'd be surprised how many skills cross over from what seems like unrelated subjects. Do English Lit if you enjoy it and think you can cope with extra coursework etc. Good luck

That's what I suspected, thanks! I took art at GCSE and believe that I've done quite well - any opinions on how it treats you at A-level? (Amount of coursework, stress, time etc...) :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Nirgilis
At the end of the day, no A-level is 'easy', and all will require work. Why not make it count? :tongue:

Good point haha, thank you!
If you apply to a university that has a UCAS point requirement then it helps with that, otherwise it seems a bit superfluous to me.
Original post by Bondioz
That's what I suspected, thanks! I took art at GCSE and believe that I've done quite well - any opinions on how it treats you at A-level? (Amount of coursework, stress, time etc...) :smile:

Work level definitely increased. While I used it as a stress relief, it did require a lot of time and work but if you're good then it won't feel like stress. I got an A* in it thought while juggling maths, biology and chemistry. Ended with 4 A levels because I did want to keep art as the fun on the side. I'd say it helped in imagining some scientific processes.

Quick Reply

Latest