The Student Room Group

Computer science degree- worth it?

I've read so many fear-inducing articles about CompSci degrees for potential students and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why they're given such a bad rep?
Is a CompSci degree from a decent/great university a good way to get into software development and related jobs? The unistat employment ratings are pretty positive so I don't understand!!
Any current/future students?
Reply 1
They're given a bad rep by ignorrant and misguided plebs... They're well worth doing as a degree with a rather nice chance of getting a well remunerated job after.
Do it! The industry is crying out for decent graduates. And as a woman (I assume you are), your chances are even greater, although you will sadly spend most of your career working entirely with men.

It is a worthy profession to go into.

Good luck!
If you study hard, get good grades, do lots of relevant extracurricular stuff related to CS, internships through the summer, then the world is your oyster.
Reply 4
Computer science is in demand. The only thing is that a lot of companies care more about experience than a degree, but a lot of the jobs still want at least a bachelor's or multiple years of experience in the industry as well as a portfolio of completed works.

So a degree is not essential to get into the industry, even if it makes it a lot easier. So some idiots piss on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending