Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of my A level choices? watch

I have chosen to do

History
    English Language and Literature
    Religious Studies
    Sociology

Just wanted to know what all you lovely people here thought.

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good combo. Any plans as to what you want to do at uni yet?

(Original post by Pegasus)
    Sounds like a good combo. Any plans as to what you want to do at uni yet?
    Not sure yet.Though I have been thinking about either History or Religions and Theology.

ReputationRep:
    They're great, if they are what you like and feel you can do well in!

(Original post by SiAnY)
    They're great, if they are what you like and feel you can do well in!
    Thanks,they are what I like and I do well in english,History and R.S.
    Anybody else do Sociology?It sounds well interesting to me.

ReputationRep:
    AS level R.S. is very different to GCSE, but it's still good (but i found it much harder)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you wish to do sociology? It isn't very recognised or respected as a subject at A level (I don't think so).

ReputationRep:
    yeah you wanna stick a science in there, have a bit of variety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Are you sure you wish to do sociology? It isn't very recognised or respected as a subject at A level (I don't think so).
    I don't think he should have too much trouble. The problem with 'less respected subjects' only really arises when people do more than one of them. The three other subjects he's chosen seem fine and there is no point in taking, say, a science subject if you have no interest in that area/ arn't very good at it.

(Original post by DazYaSSS)
    yeah you wanna stick a science in there, have a bit of variety
    Oh no I don't I only did foundation in science and to do a science at the college im going into you have to get a B at GCSE and the highest I can get is a C..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maz_superstar)
    I've just done AS Sociology and at first i didn't like it but now it's my second favourite subject after geography and i'm carrying it on to A2.

ReputationRep:
    considering what u r planning to pursue... it seems to be a good combo... i have a friend who has taken sociology and he seems to like it.......

ReputationRep:
    Dunno about RE .. the others look good

ReputationRep:
    If you are seriously considering some form of a Religious Studies course, then you might want to look at the philosophy A-level. A very religion-orientated subject and gets your brain thinking well. Thoroughly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    I have chosen to do

History
    English Language and Literature
    Religious Studies
    Sociology

Just wanted to know what all you lovely people here thought.

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day.
    good choices i took History, eng lit, biology and archaeology - u might find that r.e, eng lit/lang and history get a bit hard going towards the end though - just to warn you - they all demand a lot of work!

(Original post by charlord)
    good choices i took History, eng lit, biology and archaeology - u might find that r.e, eng lit/lang and history get a bit hard going towards the end though - just to warn you - they all demand a lot of work!
    I have been told that they are alot of work but im prepared for it,I have already read the noval im going to be studying in Eng lang/Lit and looked at some websites for history at A level.But before the end it's likly that im going to drop a subject when I start A2 not sure which but its definitely NOT going to be History or R.E.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that they are alot of work but im prepared for it,I have already read the noval im going to be studying in Eng lang/Lit and looked at some websites for history at A level.But before the end it's likly that im going to drop a subject when I start A2 not sure which but its definitely NOT going to be History or R.E.
    to be fair, i think that you could probably manage those 4 if like you say, you are prepared. I mean, i said it was a lot of work but I didnt work perhaps as flat out as I should have and still managed to get everything done. I think you'll also find - no disrespect to anyone here - but compared to history, r.e and eng, you will find sociology relativly easy (at least thats what I found with archaeology and what my friends all said) in which case, you can afford to carry on four. like i also said, the only real major annoyance is in A2 year and you'll find that history and english coursework deadlines are the same and the exams are normally clumped together.
    just work hard in AS year and seriously, youll find A2 easily. I managed to secure a C in archaeology just from my AS grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    I managed to secure a C in archaeology just from my AS grades!
    How did you do that if the maximum UMS you can get for AS is 300 and 300/600 for A2 is a D? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    How did you do that if the maximum UMS you can get for AS is 300 and 300/600 for A2 is a D? :confused:
    well, i got full marks and knew i wouldn't fail the other units, so was able to figure out that id basically got a C just by starting my coursework

ReputationRep:
    yep i do sociology and it is not only easy to grasp its quite fascinating and you'll learn lots about our corrupt society and why things happen ;p

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.