Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The level i'm currently achieving is an A, which is my target level, however i really want to get an A* in this subject and i'm unsure how to. I put so much time into this subject so i would really like the result I want. In the mock written exam I achieved a B so my folder work must have brought my grade up. But if there's any tips on getting an A* in graphics I would really like to know them. thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by samisokaytrustme)
    The level i'm currently achieving is an A, which is my target level, however i really want to get an A* in this subject and i'm unsure how to. I put so much time into this subject so i would really like the result I want. In the mock written exam I achieved a B so my folder work must have brought my grade up. But if there's any tips on getting an A* in graphics I would really like to know them. thanks.
    Sorry to see that you've not had any replies.. if you do not get any then I would suggest speaking to your teacher about it.. I have no doubt that it is difficult but also achievable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did advanced higher Graphics not A-level but if it's the same stuff (technical drawing and a folio?) then technical drawing you just have to learn the different types of drawings and the methods of doing them.

For our folio we had to design a magazine and also do a CAD drawing of an object and an environment to go with it (eg. a guitar and a bedroom). Just watch a bunch of CAD tutorial vids and learn how to do some more complex shapes etc. With us, the most important thing was time you put into it, just put as many hours as you can into making it really detailed and accurate. With other design stuff, more of a natural skill but try and ask advice from your teacher, look at proper professional examples and "copy" them and their styles

Don't know if this is the same stuff you do for A-Level but feel free to ask anything else, hope it helped a little, probably not lol

ReputationRep:
    hey quick question here what exam board are you following regarding the gcse graphics course you are taking atm

ReputationRep:
    i understand how you feel. gcse graphics really is abysmal. i didn't finish my coursework until easter in year 11. BUT i have got an a* in my coursework! also, i'm assuming you're doing aqa for this.

what i'd say is to use the textbook and write about things that might come up on the exam. for example, in your evaluation, you could write about all the different materials you could have used instead and the strengths and weaknesses of them. that way you can get a lot more info in, even after you've finished. for the questionnaire, do a client profile with their likes, dislikes, interests, etc. (you can make it up) and then write about how your product is catered for them and the target market they represent. overall, my advice is to waffle a bit and make it sound like you know what you're doing...

i haven't got my results yet, so i don't know what grade i got in the exam, but i do think i did well. and because my graphics teacher was absolutely TERRIBLE, all i did was ask the RM teacher if i could borrow a textbook and i went home and just copied out the whole thing into a notebook for 3 days. it's literally all i did all day. after each section i went over it and underlined the key points. then i did some past papers with the knowledge i'd learned and it turned out i was up to at least a grade standard! if you're good at memorising things and you end up revising it last minute like i did that's the way to go. although, obviously, i'd recommend you know all the content thoroughly months before the exam. also make sure you know how to do all the types of technical drawing to a high standard and that you have the design section down.

i don't know about other exam boards, but the aqa exam is kind of ridiculous in that there's no set marks for each point you make in your answers. the mark scheme is really sketchy and, basically, if you explain your answer (even if you're guessing and make something up), you get the higher marks.

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haroony)
    hey quick question here what exam board are you following regarding the gcse graphics course you are taking atm
    AQA I think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.