Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im starting uni next month, and im in my uni's freshers group on Facebook and everyone is talking about going to all these freshers parties etc. The thing is, none of my friends applied to my uni, so i dont know anyone at the uni. What do i do? Do i just not go to any freshers parties? Can i bring my friend(s) that dont attend the uni, to the freshers parties?

Also, is it 'unusual' for people to not go to freshers parties? Im so confused right now.

ReputationRep:
    Most people at uni won't know anyone just get stuck in start messaging random people from the group / commenting on stuff

(Original post by BlueSkies100)
    Im starting uni next month, and im in my uni's freshers group on Facebook and everyone is talking about going to all these freshers parties etc. The thing is, none of my friends applied to my uni, so i dont know anyone at the uni. What do i do? Do i just not go to any freshers parties? Can i bring my friend(s) that dont attend the uni, to the freshers parties?

Also, is it 'unusual' for people to not go to freshers parties? Im so confused right now.

ReputationRep:
    You can bring your friends if you want, but generally people go with their flatmates or go and meet people there. Most people don't know anyone before they start either

Not unusual - just completely up to you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the above responses. I know it will differ between the uni/events or whatever but for freshers parties, can you only buy tickets beforehand or would it be possible to buy tickets at the door?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the above responses. I know it will differ between the uni/events or whatever but for freshers parties, can you only buy tickets beforehand or would it be possible to buy tickets at the door?
    Depends if they are sold out or not
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Hello

It doesn't matter that none of your friends applied to your university, that's not what Freshers events are about. The SU and clubs arrange Freshers events for social reasons - it's about ice-breaker events and making friends. You will make friends at the events and such - and if you are living in halls, you'll go with people from your halls.

You can bring friends from outside your university, I've seen people do it but priority goes to students of the university and such.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    these parties are usually created for meeting new people and enjoying the night!
    i have loads of tix - do you want?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.