Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    BEWARE, very long entry for a very crazy day

Okay today has been very surreal for me, I am still even asking myself did today really happen? I legit keep pinching myself to remind myself that I am in reality. So I thought I was going to fail my English literature a level, a subject that I thoroughly enjoy and love, this was due to me not being able to finish my coursework and getting, (I really regret my laziness) and I calculated that even if I achieved the highest percentage in the exam paper, the best I would achieve would be a C, even with my high AS grade combined.

On the day of my actual English exam, I just blindly wrote whatever came to my mind, I power phrased all the quotes, I don't think I remembered all the theories or context comparisons, God knows what I wrote because I believed I wrote a lot of rubbish. So I left that exam thinking that I had absolutely flopped and I had completely failed English, the subject I was best at. I was really disappointed with myself and I knew I would have to go into clearing , and if somehow I manage to convince a Uni was to accept me with a U grade( I convinced myself this was my English grade) then I could not study English- my true passion.

I had already had an unconditional offer at another university, which was very incredibly comforting but my parents had preferred me to go to a more local university and suggested that if I cannot find any places in London then I would go to my unconditional offer far away. As far as I was concerned, no university would accept me and I would have to go to my unconditional, I was terrifyingly counting the days up to results day.

On the day, t, I found I achieved quite average grades which surprised me as I was expecting much worse, and this is the craziest bit, I achieved 100% A grade on my exam paper, I was like wtf??? MY coursework was a U, combined with this A grade paper was a B overall! I achieved a B, a grade I did not expect.

During clearing, I applied to your average universities, then my mum said to me 'apply for those Russell group universities' I was adament that they would reject me but I later called up one to humor her. Firstly I applied for Goldsmith, a very good uni for Literature and I was half expecting the to reject me, but they didn't! They sent me an email stating they would consider my application and then one hour later, a English lit professor called me up stating I had a place! I was so flabaghasted, I had only achieved a BBC, grades that fall well below their general A/B standard. I convinced myself I would go to Goldsmith, and I knew I was very lucky to have this oppurtunity, I thsnked all my lucky stars, first this English grade and now this?! Life could not get any better.

Then I called up Queen Mary University to humor my mum, I did not expect anything at all mind you. I was already shocked and chuffed about Goldsmith. Ths is the crazy crazy bit, she informed me that my grades are well below their standard and I had a mini interview with a lady from the Lit department and I was sweating during half of it, I stumbled a little and when she said ' okay... we will review you application and we will let you know by the end of the day." I legit believed that I failed that interview as it is a top university, but I did not mind as I expected that and I was going to go to Goldsmith! I was going to put that ony my Ucas track and do that the next day.

A few hours later, I checked my email and Queen Mary's offered me place, if I was not shocked then, you should of seen me then, I was getting dizzy and confused, I kept thinking perhaps that queen mary accidently sent me an email with their acceptance. Today has been a very crazy day, tbh I don't know which one to go to, my parents are more shocked then as I had always been the kind of underachiever in my family and I was getting an offer from universities better than my siblings. Even now I just do not believe it, I am simply blown away by these seires of events, I keep thinking perhaps the examiner had mistakenly marked my paper as an A which gave me an overall B.
    So guys sorry for my rambling entry, what bout you guys any crazy clearing unis?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hellosunshine334)
    BEWARE, very long entry for a very crazy day

Okay today has been very surreal for me, I am still even asking myself did today really happen? I legit keep pinching myself to remind myself that I am in reality. So I thought I was going to fail my English literature a level, a subject that I thoroughly enjoy and love, this was due to me not being able to finish my coursework and getting, (I really regret my laziness) and I calculated that even if I achieved the highest percentage in the exam paper, the best I would achieve would be a C, even with my high AS grade combined.

On the day of my actual English exam, I just blindly wrote whatever came to my mind, I power phrased all the quotes, I don't think I remembered all the theories or context comparisons, God knows what I wrote because I believed I wrote a lot of rubbish. So I left that exam thinking that I had absolutely flopped and I had completely failed English, the subject I was best at. I was really disappointed with myself and I knew I would have to go into clearing , and if somehow I manage to convince a Uni was to accept me with a U grade( I convinced myself this was my English grade) then I could not study English- my true passion.

I had already had an unconditional offer at another university, which was very incredibly comforting but my parents had preferred me to go to a more local university and suggested that if I cannot find any places in London then I would go to my unconditional offer far away. As far as I was concerned, no university would accept me and I would have to go to my unconditional, I was terrifyingly counting the days up to results day.

On the day, t, I found I achieved quite average grades which surprised me as I was expecting much worse, and this is the craziest bit, I achieved 100% A grade on my exam paper, I was like wtf??? MY coursework was a U, combined with this A grade paper was a B overall! I achieved a B, a grade I did not expect.

During clearing, I applied to your average universities, then my mum said to me 'apply for those Russell group universities' I was adament that they would reject me but I later called up one to humor her. Firstly I applied for Goldsmith, a very good uni for Literature and I was half expecting the to reject me, but they didn't! They sent me an email stating they would consider my application and then one hour later, a English lit professor called me up stating I had a place! I was so flabaghasted, I had only achieved a BBC, grades that fall well below their general A/B standard. I convinced myself I would go to Goldsmith, and I knew I was very lucky to have this oppurtunity, I thsnked all my lucky stars, first this English grade and now this?! Life could not get any better.

Then I called up Queen Mary University to humor my mum, I did not expect anything at all mind you. I was already shocked and chuffed about Goldsmith. Ths is the crazy crazy bit, she informed me that my grades are well below their standard and I had a mini interview with a lady from the Lit department and I was sweating during half of it, I stumbled a little and when she said ' okay... we will review you application and we will let you know by the end of the day." I legit believed that I failed that interview as it is a top university, but I did not mind as I expected that and I was going to go to Goldsmith! I was going to put that ony my Ucas track and do that the next day.

A few hours later, I checked my email and Queen Mary's offered me place, if I was not shocked then, you should of seen me then, I was getting dizzy and confused, I kept thinking perhaps that queen mary accidently sent me an email with their acceptance. Today has been a very crazy day, tbh I don't know which one to go to, my parents are more shocked then as I had always been the kind of underachiever in my family and I was getting an offer from universities better than my siblings. Even now I just do not believe it, I am simply blown away by these seires of events, I keep thinking perhaps the examiner had mistakenly marked my paper as an A which gave me an overall B.
    So guys sorry for my rambling entry, what bout you guys any crazy clearing unis?
    Perhaps you should go and buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets ...

But well done, you've done well for yourself (not sure about your mum going 'Russel Group Russel Group Russel Group...' but :erm: some parents don't understand, I guess.

And well done with your 100% on the paper given how you felt it went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Perhaps you should go and buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets ...

But well done, you've done well for yourself (not sure about your mum going 'Russel Group Russel Group Russel Group...' but :erm: some parents don't understand, I guess.

And well done with your 100% on the paper given how you felt it went
    Hehehe thanks, never did a lottery ticket in my life you know, I guess I would get my lucky pick! My parents just want me to do well in life, which I totally understand, that QM offer took all my family and relatives in complete surprise. I am slightly over my shock now and I guess I really do want to go to QM, I mean it is an opportunity of a lifetime. What about you? what uni will you/ or hope to go to?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hellosunshine334)
    Hehehe thanks, never did a lottery ticket in my life you know, I guess I would get my lucky pick! My parents just want me to do well in life, which I totally understand, that QM offer took all my family and relatives in complete surprise. I am slightly over my shock now and I guess I really do want to go to QM, I mean it is an opportunity of a lifetime. What about you? what uni will you/ or hope to go to?
    Maybe so

Yeah maybe it will all feel surreal or wear off tomorrow after a night's sleep :lol:

I am a third year student at uni now :lol: and trust me, it feels like not too long ago that I was waiting for results too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting A2's but I very much enjoyed reading about your very hectic yet extraordinary day! I wish you good luck and hope you have a wonderful time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I cleared the floor once

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.