Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take to study for the driving theory test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have two weeks of completely free time, would that be enough to revise everything for the theory test?

ReputationRep:
    I think it took me around 3 weeks of just practicing on and off using an app on my phone so you should be okay if you just do loads of practice

ReputationRep:
    I practiced for 1-2 days and did fine.
    Hazard percep was my only issue as I pressed too little personally. The theory test is common sense mostly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I have two weeks of completely free time, would that be enough to revise everything for the theory test?
    I read the question book for 3 hours the morning of the test and passed with full marks. It really isn't that difficult, especially if you have been learning to drive and be aware of everything going on.

ReputationRep:
    i probably spent about 2 hours revising for mine and got like 90% iirc

so yes, 2 weeks of free time should be more than enough (frankly if it isn't i suggest you stay off the roads )

ReputationRep:
    I did all my 'work' on the morning of my test for about an hour or so. I passed at 85%. Use the AA book, because the questions in there are the same as the ones in the test...

ReputationRep:
    So I've been practising to drive in my best friend's car for a little over 2 months now. I am as confident as I can possibly be at this stage. I can parallel park, do a three-point turn, reverse up a hill, etc...

For the past month or so I have been studying for my theory test. I literally bought the DVSA Theory Test CD which came with the Hazard Perception CD and a copy of the Highway Code, that's it. At the end of June, I booked my theory test for today (August 5th). There were available times that were a lot sooner but I wanted to give myself a decent amount of time to study.

So moving forward, I had my theory test today and passed on my first attempt.

Multiple-choice: 48 out of 50
    Hazard Perception: 53 out of 75

All that's left for me now is to book a couple of lessons with a driving instructor, just to brush up on what I have already learnt and then the practical test!

If I'm honest, the CDs were of most help. They include a study section, practise section and mock test section. Take full advantage of the mock tests because much to my surprise, they are A LOT like the real test. Just you wait and see. Also, practise hard on your Hazard Perception. For most people, this seems like a simple task but it's far from it. Click too early, you get zero. Click too late, you get zero. Timing is key!

Nonetheless, study hard and ensure you are fully prepared to reduce the risk of your money being wasted.

Good luck and remember, if you fail... Absorb everything you've learnt. Study more in your weak areas and have another go!

ReputationRep:
    On and off study maybe a couple hours a week for a month. Passed first time
    47/50 for theory
    56/75 for hazard perception
    would have scored better on hazards but tbh., I completely zoned out for one of the clips :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    In total, I did about 16 - 20 hours of revision, split over 3 days. Passed with 49/50 and 71/75.

Try do practice questions which you find online and in the AA book which has over 700. There are also practice questions online and video clips as well to prep you for the hazard perception. Getting hold of the highways code would be handy as well as it has some quick condensed info on highway symbols, info tables on stopping distances, etc.

No need to spend money, just go to your local public library and look online for resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickwhittington)
    On and off study maybe a couple hours a week for a month. Passed first time
    47/50 for theory
    56/75 for hazard perception
    would have scored better on hazards but tbh., I completely zoned out for one of the clips :laugh:
    How do you practice hazard perception or do you have to wing it ??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not hard at all, two weeks is more than enough. You can get away with spending a few days of full-on revision and pass.

ReputationRep:
    you should be fine. I think the mock tests are just the same as the real thing so jut do loads of those

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.