Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my AS exam results today and have got significantly less than I thought I would:

English Language & Literature - D
    Biology - E
    Chemistry - E
    Physics - U

Predictions from teachers throughout the year:
    English Language & Literature - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B

I got A's in my mocks and class exams throughout the year and don't know what went wrong. Should I retake the year and start afresh in Year 12? I can do this either at my school or another. Or should I resit AS and A2? It will put a lot of pressure on my A2 results if I do them all in one sitting.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think went wrong?

And are these grades from new linear A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry about this. This kinda **** happened to me and I think that redoing the year is the best option. Soooo many people redo the year and they can still go to top unis. At least it's not A2. This new system has wrecked a lot more people's lives than I thought (including me)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by imanonymous123)
    I got my AS exam results today and have got significantly less than I thought I would:

English Language & Literature - D
    Biology - E
    Chemistry - E
    Physics - U

Predictions from teachers throughout the year:
    English Language & Literature - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B

I got A's in my mocks and class exams throughout the year and don't know what went wrong. Should I retake the year and start afresh in Year 12? I can do this either at my school or another. Or should I resit AS and A2? It will put a lot of pressure on my A2 results if I do them all in one sitting.
    Talk to your teachers about what went wrong here because there's such a big discrepancy between your predictions and your grades. It might well be an idea to retake the year, though it depends on your aspirations and plans for the future. I wouldn't resit AS and A2 together because you'll have less time to revise for both which compromises your efforts in each!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Talk to your teachers about what went wrong here because there's such a big discrepancy between your predictions and your grades. It might well be an idea to retake the year, though it depends on your aspirations and plans for the future. I wouldn't resit AS and A2 together because you'll have less time to revise for both which compromises your efforts in each!
    I wanted to take medicine but that is obviously not possible. I'm looking into Biological Sciences in which I need BCC/CCC so hopefully if I retake the year I'll be able to get my AS results up enough to meet the grades.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I wanted to take medicine but that is obviously not possible. I'm looking into Biological Sciences in which I need BCC/CCC so hopefully if I retake the year I'll be able to get my AS results up enough to meet the grades.
    Yeah definitely. From your grades now it's definitely possible to bump them all up to a C! Make sure your teachers tell you how you could improve though (you have so much that affects your performance like exam technique, revision technique, nerves etc.) so you can maximise your chances if you retake the year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    I'm so sorry about this. This kinda **** happened to me and I think that redoing the year is the best option. Soooo many people redo the year and they can still go to top unis. At least it's not A2. This new system has wrecked a lot more people's lives than I thought (including me)
    Yeah it has. I know a lot of people who only just scraped a D in Biology and Chemistry and the rest got either E's like me or U's. I'm thinking of retaking the year at my school but it's not like my teachers will change and many are unqualified to teach the specification as our school used to only do Edexcel before switching to AQA so they kept teaching us the wrong content so I'm considering moving.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely. From your grades now it's definitely possible to bump them all up to a C! Make sure your teachers tell you how you could improve though (you have so much that affects your performance like exam technique, revision technique, nerves etc.) so you can maximise your chances if you retake the year
    Thanks! I'll email my teachers again now as all of them are off on holiday and ask what it is I need to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'll email my teachers again now as all of them are off on holiday and ask what it is I need to do.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if you're taking the new linear paper, you've still got time to get those grades. THATS if you're DETERMINED enough to get them...

l mean, at the end of the day those grades are not accounted for.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it has. I know a lot of people who only just scraped a D in Biology and Chemistry and the rest got either E's like me or U's. I'm thinking of retaking the year at my school but it's not like my teachers will change and many are unqualified to teach the specification as our school used to only do Edexcel before switching to AQA so they kept teaching us the wrong content so I'm considering moving.
    It's best to move sixth forms firstly because of the atmosphere of seeing people in your year everyday until they go to uni and your situation of the teachers not experienced with the new exam board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    It's best to move sixth forms firstly because of the atmosphere of seeing people in your year everyday until they go to uni and your situation of the teachers not experienced with the new exam board
    There are no schools near me that would potentially help me if I were to transfer. There was a girl who came to my school to retake Year 12 and it takes her over an hour to get to school everyday because there are not any other good schools nearby and if there are, you have to either be religious to get in or have to get great grades because they are private.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.