Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sorry in advance if this is really long. So recently my little cousin was diagnosed with autism. He is 13 and is going into second year of secondary school so it was quite a late diagnosis. I'm 20 and I was recently on holiday and hung out with my cousin alot through the week. Its sort of the first time we've hung out much since he became a teenager and I found that we got on really well. I noticed whilst hanging out that we are quite similar in a number of ways, from mannerisms to interests, something hadn't really thought about much before. Upon reflection this has lead me to believe that I may have a mild form of autism for a number of reasons I'll list below. - Since first year of secondary I've always kind of known I have OCD when I learned about what it was. I don't really do it as much anymore, but I used o have to touch things a number of times or lick things or whatever otherwise I'd feel something bad was going to happen or because it might make something good happen.
    - I have a tendency to overthink situations and think about the worst case scenario which stops me from doing a lot of things, has lead to me having a number of irrational phobias.
    - I'm a pretty big hypochondriac. Every little health matter, from like a pain or rash or whatever, I tend to assume its the worst thing.
    - I'm a bit of an introvert. I was always a shy kid going through school and pretty much everyone, including my teachers noticed it and that i didn't talk much. I managed to make friends all through school, although this was mainly through them making an effort not me. I don't really approach new people as I find it difficult to start a conversation and to engage in any kind of small talk. I hate any kind of public speaking or group activities with strangers.
    - I get bored very easily which means I sometimes find it difficult to see certain things through. Although I'm pretty intelligent so I managed to pass through school with good grades despite next to no reading.
    - I like being in control which means I schedule a lot of things out in my mind (even writing it down sometimes) and If that schedule breaks down it can leave me feeling a bit depressed. - I tend to get very possessive of people and things. Like with friends I used to get very jealous when they hung out with someone else and I would thing that they weren't really my friends etc. I also used to be a bit of hoarder when I was younger but I've broken that habit now. - Might not be related but I noticed that sometimes I would enjoy arguing with people. Think thats about it. Just I noticed some of these things were similar to stuff my cousin was telling me about himself. Might just be coincidental but thought I would ask anyway. I've heard it can run in families but I don't know anyone else in mine besides my cousin who has it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Some of the things you've mentioned sound nothing like Autism.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you're pretty anxious but anxious doesn't mean autistic... you've not really said much in that list that really indicates autism to me ... you've said a couple of things that can be outward signs of autism (struggling to talk to people/have conversation/small talk, rigid routine, hoarding) but they don't indicate autism by themselves, it's more about why those things are difficult, like I find small talk difficult because I'm introverted and shy not because I don't understand the function of it or find it hard to interact due to not being able to read facial expressions etc...

(Original post by doodle_333)
    sounds like you're pretty anxious but anxious doesn't mean autistic... you've not really said much in that list that really indicates autism to me ... you've said a couple of things that can be outward signs of autism (struggling to talk to people/have conversation/small talk, rigid routine, hoarding) but they don't indicate autism by themselves, it's more about why those things are difficult, like I find small talk difficult because I'm introverted and shy not because I don't understand the function of it or find it hard to interact due to not being able to read facial expressions etc...
    Thanks for responding. Theres some other things that I forgot to mention as well like if I'm having a one on one conversation with someone I find it hard to look them in the eye after like 5 secs. I start to feel really tense and weird like they are are judging me or can read what im thing or feeling so I end up looking away and pretend im looking at something and I just glance back and forward. Also have a habit of tapping my foot really fast whenever I'm sitting down. And I don't like being in crowded environments like where theres lots of people bunched together like in a crowded bus or whatever. Something I've realised looking back on aswell is a lot of arguments that I've been involved in have been because i've wrongly interpreted someone being angry at me or ignoring me or something like that.
    I'm just considering whether its worth going to the docs to find out for sure or not really.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for responding. Theres some other things that I forgot to mention as well like if I'm having a one on one conversation with someone I find it hard to look them in the eye after like 5 secs. I start to feel really tense and weird like they are are judging me or can read what im thing or feeling so I end up looking away and pretend im looking at something and I just glance back and forward. Also have a habit of tapping my foot really fast whenever I'm sitting down. And I don't like being in crowded environments like where theres lots of people bunched together like in a crowded bus or whatever. Something I've realised looking back on aswell is a lot of arguments that I've been involved in have been because i've wrongly interpreted someone being angry at me or ignoring me or something like that.
    I'm just considering whether its worth going to the docs to find out for sure or not really.
    That could be anxiety?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I mean go and see a doctor if you want... are you a girl? girls are often misdiagnosed with anxiety... but to me I agree with tigerrag, you haven't said anything which indicated autism as opposed to anxiety to me and I say that as someone who struggled with anxiety myself, a lot of this sounds very familiar to me

ReputationRep:
    I would say this sounds more like anxiety than autism, being autistic myself, and having dealt with anxiety. But everyone's experience is different. Talk to your doctor if you think it's something you need help with, but thirding what others have said here.

At the end of the day, there isn't much they can do to help if you are autistic, except for therapy, which would be along the same lines as if it was anxiety. So if it's something you feel is impacting badly on your life then talk to someone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.