Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing My Subject Choices: Advice? Watch

• View Poll Results: What Should I Take?
    Higher Administration & IT
    16.67%
    Higher Art
    0%
    Higher Biology
    41.67%
    Higher Religious Studies
    33.33%
    National 5 Religious Studies
    0%
    National 5 Health and Food Technology
    0%
    National 5 Computing
    8.33%
    National 5 Physics
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Today, I went back to school after the summer break. I'd already picked my subject choices for S5 in about April-May time, thinking that my choices were OK. We weren't given a columns sheet to see what was available, so I just picked what I wanted to do from the list. I picked:
    • Higher English (A in N5- 2015/16)
    • Higher French (A in N5- 2015/16)
    • Higher Music (A in N5- 2015/16)
    • Higher Drama (B in N5- 2015/16)
    • National 5 Spanish (never taken it before)
    When we came back today, we were given this year's timetables, and I noticed I had a few blanks on my sheet. Basically, I went to Learning Support and they said that National 5 Spanish clashed with Higher English. If I wanted to do Nat5 Spanish, then I'd have to either drop Higher English, or switch it with Higher Music and drop that instead. I didn't think that either was worth sacrificing for Spanish at this moment in time, so I decided to just pick a subject from the empty column. My choices I have are:
    • Higher Administration and IT
    • Higher Art and Design
    • Higher Biology
    • Higher Religious Studies
    • National 5 Religious Studies
    • National 5 Biology
    • National 5 Physics
    • National 5 Health and Food Technology
    I've never done any of these subjects as part of a National Qualification, I only did them under Broad General Education in S1-S3. I'm not really interested in any of them, but I'll take one if I have to!

I'm wanting to study French + 1 language (Spanish) at University, and I want to know if any of you has any advice for me. What would be the most useful of all of them, as I probably won't take them to a higher level after this year. Also, what are the more fun and interesting subjects, I don't want to be bored out of my skull for a whole year!

I've been discussing it with my family and friends, but they've just said to go with what I want to do, but I don't really want to do any of them :-)

Sorry for the big long essay about it, haha. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't really want to do any of them then you won't enjoy any of them lol - but I'd probs recommend Higher RMPS (didn't take it myself - because it clashed with AH History, but I had a few friends taking it and it seemed incredibly interesting and essay based, so lack of prior knowledge won't be an issue.)

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you'd rather do an n5 or a higher. I'd recommend bio as it's an interesting subject at both n5 and higher. N5 bio really isn't bad but with very little prior knowledge you might prefer to do n5. If you think you can manage the higher (for any of the subjects you said) go ahead. Worst case scenario, it's not working out and you can choose the n5 if it's available.
    I think it's quite good to have at least one science but it depends on what you want to do. (what do u want to do)?
    Higher admin could be helpful as it is on computers and quite a lot of jobs nowadays are computer based (huge job market as well).
    If u lemme know what jobs/courses ur interested in I can give more relevant advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppo)
    depends if you'd rather do an n5 or a higher. I'd recommend bio as it's an interesting subject at both n5 and higher. N5 bio really isn't bad but with very little prior knowledge you might prefer to do n5. If you think you can manage the higher (for any of the subjects you said) go ahead. Worst case scenario, it's not working out and you can choose the n5 if it's available.
    I think it's quite good to have at least one science but it depends on what you want to do. (what do u want to do)?
    Higher admin could be helpful as it is on computers and quite a lot of jobs nowadays are computer based (huge job market as well).
    If u lemme know what jobs/courses ur interested in i can give more relevant advice.
    ignore me asking what u want to do im literally thick

ReputationRep:
    U could do any tbh none r really relevant. I'd avoid any ones that are super specific to a career (HE and art) as they won't offer anything when going to study languages. Choose something more broad and widely acknowledged regareless of course choice (bio, physics, admin etc). This way if u change ur uni course choice or keep it the subject will still benefit u. Rme might b OK as it's a more literacy based subject and I'm sure u write for languages. If u chose to study languages because u r interested in diff cultures etc then rme will probs b enjoyable ( I've only done the required amount not chosen it as a subject so I could b spewing *******s).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all of you for your advice, I just ended up taking Higher RE, and I'm glad because after the first lesson today, I really enjoyed it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.