Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can I have some advice please? Disappointing grade in subject for uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So today I got AAAC in as levels in maths, FM, Chem and physics respectively. I wanted to do physics at uni but it was my worse grade. I was predicted an A for this year and an A* next year. Throughout the year all my physics tests and mocks my Lowest grade was an A, so this exam result was very surprising. I've also attended the Cambridge and ucl summer school for physics so that I can produce a strong physics application.

So I need help whether I should carry it on I was looking at places such as Oxford, imperial and Durham for physics but that C I know is getting to let me down even thought through the whole I've been getting A's and a bronze in the physics challenge. I mean I could apply for those uni's for chemistry and have a pretty good chance due to my chemistry grade.

Please I need some advice I've put so much work into my physics application and now it seems like I've tripped at the last hurdle. Please someone help?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BigChicken)
    So today I got AAAC in as levels in maths, FM, Chem and physics respectively. I wanted to do physics at uni but it was my worse grade. I was predicted an A for this year and an A* next year. Throughout the year all my physics tests and mocks my Lowest grade was an A, so this exam result was very surprising. I've also attended the Cambridge and ucl summer school for physics so that I can produce a strong physics application.

So I need help whether I should carry it on I was looking at places such as Oxford, imperial and Durham for physics but that C I know is getting to let me down even thought through the whole I've been getting A's and a bronze in the physics challenge. I mean I could apply for those uni's for chemistry and have a pretty good chance due to my chemistry grade.

Please I need some advice I've put so much work into my physics application and now it seems like I've tripped at the last hurdle. Please someone help?
    The C in physics may be a problem for Oxford (talking from experience) but provided you've got the predicted grades then you're in a good chance of offers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Firstly, congrats on your other grades! The C is unfortunate but the others show that you have the ability to do really well, as do your other achievements. Have you considered getting remarks, if you genuinely felt like you did better than the grade you got?

Speak to your teachers to see if they can predict you an A. Usually they only predict one grade above what you achieved at AS, but if you can resit some AS units then you may be able to do better.

Even if unfortunately you don't end up with an A at A2 physics, all is not lost. You'd be surprised what you can get into in clearing; I have a friend that got in to do physics at King's last year with a B in physics. Don't settle for less than you want (unless you would be 100% happy with chemistry), you may as well apply for physics if it's what you want to do.

Best of luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    The C in physics may be a problem for Oxford (talking from experience) but provided you've got the predicted grades then you're in a good chance of offers
    I've talked to my teacher and he said he is still going to predict me an A* for next year since he's seen what I have done in class and said my exam must have been just some unfortunate event. The a level is linear so doesn't count towards anything. Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Firstly, congrats on your other grades! The C is unfortunate but the others show that you have the ability to do really well, as do your other achievements. Have you considered getting remarks, if you genuinely felt like you did better than the grade you got?

Speak to your teachers to see if they can predict you an A. Usually they only predict one grade above what you achieved at AS, but if you can resit some AS units then you may be able to do better.

Even if unfortunately you don't end up with an A at A2 physics, all is not lost. You'd be surprised what you can get into in clearing; I have a friend that got in to do physics at King's last year with a B in physics. Don't settle for less than you want (unless you would be 100% happy with chemistry), you may as well apply for physics if it's what you want to do.

Best of luck with your application
    My teacher is still predicting me an A* since of my work in class over the year and the course is reformed so it doesn't count towards anything. Thank you for the reply 😃
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BigChicken)
    My teacher is still predicting me an A* since of my work in class over the year and the course is reformed so it doesn't count towards anything. Thank you for the reply 😃
    Excellent news! Best of luck!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.