The Student Room Group

Modern Studies and History National 5 Grades Review

Hey guys,
Hope everyone is happy with their results and that you got what you were working hard for!

I'm writing this because I am interested in the social subjects and with them being the biggest part of all my current courses, I was saddened to discover that many people were let down by the papers despite doing very well in the assignments.

It came as a shock because I only dropped three marks in my Modern paper and 7 in my History, yet many others who sat the exam were losing large amounts. Many who also done very well throughout the year were shocked to earn a C pass when they predicted they'd get an A pass judging by their past work and the flow of the paper. What did everyone else get? And did this happen in your school?
Reply 1
Hello.

I got A's for both by Modern Studies and History exam at National 5 this year and thought the papers were fairly straight forward and somewhat easy.

This definitely did not happen in our school. In fact near enough everyone who studied passed the exam with the majority of people getting either B's or A's. Quite a lot of people sat History and Modern Studies in my year and across others.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A+Hunter
Hello.

I got A's for both by Modern Studies and History exam at National 5 this year and thought the papers were fairly straight forward and somewhat easy.

This definitely did not happen in our school. In fact near enough everyone who studied passed the exam with the majority of people getting either B's or A's. Quite a lot of people sat History and Modern Studies in my year and across others.

Nice one! I got A's in both subjects including English, I was so shocked as I thought the papers were pretty easy imo...
Reply 3
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Nice one! I got A's in both subjects including English, I was so shocked as I thought the papers were pretty easy imo...

Nice! Yeah me too I got an A in English and it was definitely my worst subject. Thankfully the paper was quite straight forward :smile:
Was timing an issue in the History and/or Modern Studies exam? I recently did an outcome (closed book) last week for History and we had a period to do a how fully, to what extent, explain and describe question but my hand was in agony after it. I managed to finish it just before the end of the period which made me realise that I need to start writing faster but I am already writing as fast as I can. I also just finished my AVU and I was wondering if the assignment is difficult because I am starting that next week.

Thanks
Hey, to anyone out there currently doing Modern Studies, I sat it last year and before the exam made up loads of sample answers for The USA, Democracy in Scotland and Crime in the Law. I feel bad as they are just sitting on my computer doing no use to anyone now, so I thought if people wanted to I could upload them to a website? This is the website so let me know if you want them! : modernstudieshelp.simplesite.com
Good luck to everyone sitting Nat 5 Modies this year, I am currently doing Higher and although Nat 5 can be hard you just have to sit down and learn it, plus its SO interesting which make it much easier!!
Reply 6
Hi
Can anybody advise on where I get recent examples I can use for democracy in Scotland, crime and law and development in Africa.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending