Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im at the crossroads - if you don't make the grades, say for a university like Leciester would you resit year 13 or would you go to a second string uni such as hertfordshire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunner123)
    Im at the crossroads - if you don't make the grades, say for a university like Leciester would you resit year 13 or would you go to a second string uni such as hertfordshire?
    When i didn't get the grades for my course i went to a new college and resat my A levels.

ReputationRep:
    i personally wudnt want to resit alevels - i have moved on from school and want to carry on with something new. I would wait until results day before making rash decisions. if you miss the offer for leicester by a grade, or maybe two they may be leniant if u contact them (or beg them)- you never know, you have nothing to lose! worst case scenario if u dont get in to leicester i would recommend still going to hertfordshire if it is a nice place and a course you would feel comfortable with. Employers usually want the classification of the degree ( e.g 1st, 2.1) rather than where you got the degree from so i wudnt worry if you think that its "second string", employers generally wont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i personally wudnt want to resit alevels - i have moved on from school and want to carry on with something new. I would wait until results day before making rash decisions. if you miss the offer for leicester by a grade, or maybe two they may be leniant if u contact them (or beg them)- you never know, you have nothing to lose! worst case scenario if u dont get in to leicester i would recommend still going to hertfordshire if it is a nice place and a course you would feel comfortable with. Employers usually want the classification of the degree ( e.g 1st, 2.1) rather than where you got the degree from so i wudnt worry if you think that its "second string", employers generally wont know.
    I disagree to some extent. Employers not only look at your degree, but also at your A-Levels. If they're a lot worse than predicted, I'd say resit.

Just my $0.02.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    I disagree to some extent. Employers not only look at your degree, but also at your A-Levels. If they're a lot worse than predicted, I'd say resit.

Just my $0.02.
    tut tut you just HAD to disagree! lol. its very hard to pass an opinion on this as i dont know what grades this person is expecting to get - what he considers bad grades may actually be good but yeah of course Employers look at a-level grades, often they also they look at GCSE's to see if your consistent and motivated
    So what uni are you at/going to/considering going to?

ReputationRep:
    resit.

ReputationRep:
    I would resit the A-levels. Consider it a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    What are your predicted grades gunner123? Then you use those grades to apply to the uni's that might accept those grades.

ReputationRep:
    So what uni are you at/going to/considering going to?
    Who, me?

I graduated last year from Newcastle. I've done the law conversion course and have a TC with an American firm.

ReputationRep:
    It depend what job you want to do, long term resitting is probably the best option, but its not always practicle as it means another year without getting a full time job. Also can you be certain you will get better grades?

Its quite common people resit and don't improve enough to make it worth while. Unless there is a specific reason you haven't done as well as you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people go to uni simply becuase they feel they have to and that they have to go as soon as they finish school. If Leicester is where you want to go then its worth taking a year to resit so you can get in.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how badly you want to go to university this year....and how much you miss you offer by. There are probably a number of 'first-rate' universities that would accept you through clearing, even if Leicester isn't lenient...

ReputationRep:
    Employers usually want the classification of the degree ( e.g 1st, 2.1) rather than where you got the degree from so i wudnt worry if you think that its "second string", employers generally wont know.
    I don't think that's really true. Employers aren't blind to universities.

ReputationRep:
    i was fully planned on going back to school on results day.....(that may have been because my best mate was stil there) and then i was offered exeter....instantly fell in love and took it.

knowing people at both leicter and heartfordshire.....the same person would not like the other.

love Katy ***

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.