Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am just wondering what my chances are of getting into certain universities with my grades. I am currently looking at UCL, Nottingham and Leeds. Oxford is also a possibility, which I will decide when my predicted grades are confirmed.
    GCSE - 4A* 7A
    AS - AAAAC (A in Economics Maths Geography and General Studies, C in chem)
    Predicted grades (90% certain) - A*A*A in Maths Economics and Geography respectively.
    I have also had work experience at a major bank and have read widely around the subject, covering topics such as Game Theory and Government Intervention.
    It would be great to get some help as to what universities I could realistically apply for! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Khaleesi111!

Congratulations on your fantastic predicted grades!

With predicted grades of A*A*A, you can pretty much apply to any university you want to and be in with a good chance of getting into a university of your choosing. However, I would suggest that you have at least one (if not two) 'back-up' options, i.e. university courses asking for lower grades, such as AAA or even AAB.

One university you should consider is New College of the Humanities. Whilst I do not study Economics myself, a friend of mine does and he cannot praise the Economics course at NCH enough! Your predicted grades fit with their entry requirements and the great thing about the Economics course at NCH is that it is taught through a mixture of one-to-one tutorials, seminars and lectures; I would definitely consider NCH as an option!

There are a number of other universities I would suggest looking into:

University of Exeter - A*AA - AABDurham University - A*AA
    Lancaster University - AAB University of Kent - AAB - BBB University of East Anglia - AAB

With your fantastic predicted grades, my advice would be to apply for a mixture of universities in terms of their entry requirements, but most importantly, look deep into the courses for each university and apply for the ones which appeal to you most. DO NOT go to a university for the sake of its name, go for the course. To help you with this, I would suggest contacting universities directly, requesting prospectuses and thinking hard before making any decisions about where you would like to apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollieCharge)
    Hi there Khaleesi111!

Congratulations on your fantastic predicted grades!

With predicted grades of A*A*A, you can pretty much apply to any university you want to and be in with a good chance of getting into a university of your choosing. However, I would suggest that you have at least one (if not two) 'back-up' options, i.e. university courses asking for lower grades, such as AAA or even AAB.

One university you should consider is New College of the Humanities. Whilst I do not study Economics myself, a friend of mine does and he cannot praise the Economics course at NCH enough! Your predicted grades fit with their entry requirements and the great thing about the Economics course at NCH is that it is taught through a mixture of one-to-one tutorials, seminars and lectures; I would definitely consider NCH as an option!

There are a number of other universities I would suggest looking into:

University of Exeter - A*AA - AABDurham University - A*AA
    Lancaster University - AAB University of Kent - AAB - BBB University of East Anglia - AAB

With your fantastic predicted grades, my advice would be to apply for a mixture of universities in terms of their entry requirements, but most importantly, look deep into the courses for each university and apply for the ones which appeal to you most. DO NOT go to a university for the sake of its name, go for the course. To help you with this, I would suggest contacting universities directly, requesting prospectuses and thinking hard before making any decisions about where you would like to apply
    Hey,
    Thank you for the advice, it is definitely worth me having a closer look into the courses offered by different universities then! What are the required grades to get into New College? Also, do you think my C in Chemistry will hinder my application, or do you think universities will look beyond this, focusing more on my predicted grades? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaleesi111)
    Hey,
    Thank you for the advice, it is definitely worth me having a closer look into the courses offered by different universities then! What are the required grades to get into New College? Also, do you think my C in Chemistry will hinder my application, or do you think universities will look beyond this, focusing more on my predicted grades? Cheers.
    Hi

Definitely! New College of the Humanities usually ask for grades of AAA, however, the great thing about NCH is that they look at more than just your grades as you are asked to submit an essay and are then invited to interview.

In regards to the C grade in Chemistry, it probably depends on the university, but I don't see why it should given your other grades and the fact that you are looking at Economics courses not Chemistry. It may be worth ringing a couple of universities you are particularly interested in and questioning whether the C will hinder your application or not, but I believe they will be more focused on your predicted grades.

I hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.