Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it even worth applying for economics and management or is it just so hard to get in that i should just go for straight economics at cambridge. Got 9a* 2 a at GCSE and predicted almost 4 a*in maths further maths econ and chemistry, Also what kind of things help on personal statement if i wanted to apply for either.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no you can't apply. You need to have at least A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* at A levels and 18 A* at GCSEs, also you need to win the IMO 3 times i the row!

Now jokes on the side. Your grades are almost excellent and you would make a very competitive applicant. Focus on your PS and try mentioning the super curricular activities that you have done and what you got from them (which skills you have developed etc.) It should be like a love letter to your course. Additionally prepare for the pre-interview exams! Please take in mind that E&M is one of the most competitive courses(7%) and sometimes you need to get lucky to get in.
    Maybe you'd have greater chances at Cambz for pure economics, but if E&M suits you better go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Hell no you can't apply. You need to have at least A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* at A levels and 18 A* at GCSEs, also you need to win the IMO 3 times i the row!

Now jokes on the side. Your grades are almost excellent and you would make a very competitive applicant. Focus on your PS and try mentioning the super curricular activities that you have done and what you got from them (which skills you have developed etc.) It should be like a love letter to your course. Additionally prepare for the pre-interview exams! Please take in mind that E&M is one of the most competitive courses(7%) and sometimes you need to get lucky to get in.
    Maybe you'd have greater chances at Cambz for pure economics, but if E&M suits you better go for it!
    I'd say that this stands for all Oxford applications to be honest - almost all applicants will have the required grades. E&M is certainly one of (if not the) most competitive course at Oxford, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider applying (not that you're saying otherwise).

(Original post by kalamdhesi)
    Is it even worth applying for economics and management or is it just so hard to get in that i should just go for straight economics at cambridge. Got 9a* 2 a at GCSE and predicted almost 4 a*in maths further maths econ and chemistry, Also what kind of things help on personal statement if i wanted to apply for either.
    Look at the details of each course and see which one suits you better. You shouldn't try to play the numbers game - if Cambridge were statistically easier to get into (disclaimer: I genuinely haven't a clue) but the course content doesn't interest you as much as E&M, maybe you should consider Oxford instead. (A friend of mine at Oxford got a bit frustrated with his course (not E&M) upon realising how theory heavy it was, thinking he would actually prefer a more 'applied' course but that could have been finals talking!) Things you might want to consider are what the compulsory and optional modules are, the course structure, does Oxford offer something Cambridge doesn't (e.g. can you do management modules in Cam even though it's not in the degree title) etc. If you would be happy with both courses, consider visiting both and deciding which you like better.

E&M is certainly competitive but that doesn't mean you can't be one of those that gets offered a place. Your grades and predicted grades look great, but even if they didn't quite match up to the other applicants, there are additional parts of the application which will be considered also. Remember that Oxbridge is not the be all and end all, but you should certainly apply to one if you desire - it's only one of your five choices after all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.