Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in clearing and i'm applying to do accounting and finance as my career pathway

Im struggling to pick a university to go to. This is because i was currently at Brunel university and i felt like i never fitted in. I used to feel alone at times even though i had a lot of friends, i just felt that it was a dead university with not much to do. A lot of people too felt this way. Also a majority of the people who went to Brunel university were not the type of people who i would get along with as they were stuck up and arrogant. One day they are cool with you, and the next they are walking past you without saying hi, What im trying to say is that i didn't have a great time there and i was hoping for more as i moved from birmingham to london

The kind of person people describe me is Social. No one really knew i was going through any of this at univesity as I did have many friends and i did seem happy..

All of the reasons above is the reason why i am worried of going back to university as i feel it may occur again, that i may end up feeling alone. Im also worried that my university may just be like everyones university in the way it operates im not sure if university is meant to die down after freshers..

Anyway if i could get some opinions i would honestly be very grateful as im really struggling on how to deal with this problem and find a university that im happy with

Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Ameenk95)
    Im in clearing and i'm applying to do accounting and finance as my career pathway

Im struggling to pick a university to go to. This is because i was currently at Brunel university and i felt like i never fitted in. I used to feel alone at times even though i had a lot of friends, i just felt that it was a dead university with not much to do. A lot of people too felt this way. Also a majority of the people who went to Brunel university were not the type of people who i would get along with as they were stuck up and arrogant. One day they are cool with you, and the next they are walking past you without saying hi, What im trying to say is that i didn't have a great time there and i was hoping for more as i moved from birmingham to london

The kind of person people describe me is Social. No one really knew i was going through any of this at univesity as I did have many friends and i did seem happy..

All of the reasons above is the reason why i am worried of going back to university as i feel it may occur again, that i may end up feeling alone. Im also worried that my university may just be like everyones university in the way it operates im not sure if university is meant to die down after freshers..

Anyway if i could get some opinions i would honestly be very grateful as im really struggling on how to deal with this problem and find a university that im happy with

Thank you
    Morning

Sorry to hear this! It can be really hard fitting in at a new uni. Here at Kingston we offer any support you need whatever it is. Our Union of Kingston Students are there to talk to as well as our Student Life Centre.

I started Kingston September 2016 and I have absolutely loved it. Everyone if very sociable and freshers really helps you meet people. We have out massive freshers fair where all the societies and companies get together on our Kingston Hill campus and just have lots of fun! I also lived in halls, which is you get a place at Kingston today you are guaranteed accommodation!!! I absolutely loved halls I met so many people and have so many memorable times with them.

We have spaces on out Accounting and Finance course http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergradu...nting-finance/ which you can get a place on today via clearing! Our hotline number is
    0800 0483 334 where a member of the team would love to speak to you about everything. It is open 8:30am- 6:30pm today.

I hope everything works out for you!
    Emily
    Student ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think that after Freshers pretty much every Uni goes a bit quiet and that's because there's a lot to do but, Uni is what you make of it. I just recently graduated from UEL and when I first started it took me a while to find a good group of friends (probably because I skipped freshers first year). I found that the best way to meet people is to join societies or sport clubs. I met pretty much everyone through a friend I made while playing volleyball. The thing is that at first everyone is going to be a bit shy so if you do the first step and approach people, you will have an amazing experience. Living in student accommodation is also a great way to meet people. Ironically I found it hard to make friends in my classes, the majority of friends I made are all from other courses. if you're still unsure about the university to pick, may I suggest UEL? They have links with societies and companies in Canary Wharf and some of the classes are actually taught there. The BSc Economics course is Top in London for ‘Personal Development’ 2016 according to the NSS and you get to have qualifications recognized even in Australia. Plus, the accommodation we have is pretty good, you get an amazing view of the London City Airport and Canary Wharf, there's a gym and a student bar. Plus, this year's freshers fair is supposed to be the best one yet.

If you want to look up the Accounting and Finance course available through clearing, go here https://www.uel.ac.uk/Undergraduate/...ng-and-Finance and if you want to chat a bit more about university life, ask away! good luck

ReputationRep:
    Watch Welcome to the NHK.
    Follow through with what it entails and perhaps mirror it.
    Have a revolution or falling out.
    Perhaps other "thoughts"
    Fail.
    Futility.
    Hope that futility is all existing and luck determines everything.
    Be happy/ neutral / sad.... I dunno
    But this did help me alot.
    Then watch Tatami Galaxy.......
    Moths..
    School...
    Your Johnny...
    Choices..
    Time travel.....

ReputationRep:
    If you do this i believe you will move in a good direction.
    You will gain a little optimism and enjoy things in life a bit more so things aren't as scary.
    or nihilism.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ameenk95)

Thank you
    I personally went to UEL and it was the best three years of my life having studied Computer Games Design. The campus is amazing, the diverse community of people, and regular events being held on campus such as karaoke nights, sports events, club events, and many more. Also, if you decide to live in halls the view is amazing with Canary Wharf in the distance Check out their website if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to stop you from doing a full Accountancy degree in a local college. Many colleges offer full Honours degrees nowadays. The fees are usually a lot cheaper, you get to live at home still so no need to worry about fitting in and you get your qualification. My son has no intention of going to Uni. He has been at his local college for 3 years now, doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, has finished the BTEC HNC and starts the HND in a few weeks. It's a much smaller,friendlier more intimate environment which suits him perfectly as he is shy. Just saying there are other ways to get your Higher Education qualification, than Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Bump need a few more opinions!

ReputationRep:
    I think this is something a lot of people face! The suggestion you got about joining clubs and societies I would second. Be patient and you will make good friends. It is much harder doing before you know that you are going to meet people you like but afterwards you will forget that it took any effort at all

ReputationRep:
    Go in with a completely open mind and say yes to every opportunity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.